Chapter 23 ❤️

As soon as I walk into the lunch hall, butterflies overtake my stomach. If I had eaten and not skipped snack to avoid sitting alone, I'm pretty sure I would've puked everything I ate up right now.

The butterflies were not their usual graceful tickling of my stomach, but instead were making me extremely nauseous and I was not appreciate of of that. Although I wanted to hold my stomach and roll on the floor, I just kept a straight face with a concentrated stare forward, doing my all to keep my game face.

Cam walked a little in front of me as we made our way to the lunch tray line. The loud and blurred talking of the campers overwhelmed my hearing as we made our way to the tray stack. I grabbed a red plastic tray and waited in the short line for the fruit. I wasn't feeling very hungry, my stomach was just not my main focus at the moment. My head was spinning and swirling as the line inched forward and I wished this four person line was longer. Maybe your heads spinning and swirling because you haven't ate! My brain reminds me but I don't have time to listen right now. I feel nervous and sick and the sight of food is making me no where near hungry.

Since it was so early into the lunch hour and not many people were here, in a matter of seconds, I was already next in line. Cam was pretty close to the front of his line too. I felt my hands sweat against the tray and wiped one by one on my shirt. Knowing my nerves well, I pulled the tray against my chest to assure that it wouldn't rattle and shake in my hands.

Needing a distraction, I look around the hall. Without knowing it, I was looking for Jack or Jackie or maybe even Taylor. I scanned all the tables and didn't see any of the people from the other group, and I felt sorta relieved. I still had other stuff to be worried about but one less thing was always better.

Cam was waiting for me after I finally got my fruit and we began walking to the group's usual table. I prepared myself for their weird looks or ignoring of my presence or even worse if that's what it came to, though I really hoped it wouldn't. But, as we got very close, I was utterly surprised when no one seemed to really pay attention to either of us. No stares, no glares, no shunning. No nothing.

Not one person from the entire group payed any attention to Cam or me. Not Alyssa, Mahogany, Shawn, Matthew, Nash, Crawford, or Chris even looked up for a second. They all sat and laughed along with each other and I couldn't help but feel like maybe I was intruding on them. I began to slow down and was ready to tell Cam that I was just gonna eat lunch with them another time, but he spoke and any chance of escaping was gone.

"Hey, guys," Cam said when he was in earshot. Matthew looked up in order to greet him, only to see me right behind Cam.

"Cass?" Matthew questioned aloud and the whole table turned around to look at me. I got the same look from all of them too. A unanimous look of shock.

"Hi," I waved with a half-smile.

They all stared a little longer before a messy chorus of greetings broke out. I chewed on my lip awkwardly before following Cam to the end of the table, choosing to sit across from him. Not one person at the table attempted to hide their stares and I did my best to not look back and acknowledge how creepy it was. This was so wrong and so weird and in no way a good idea, I concluded after I sat down.

"So you're back to the good side, huh?" Alyssa spoke, sitting a few people down from Cam. Realizing she was speaking to me, I looked up and scanned over everyone. They were all still staring back and waiting for my answer.

"Yep," I sighed, deciding not to argue with the 'good group' name. I hate how they think Jackie, Aaron, JJ, and all the rest of them are 'bad', because they aren't. Well... Not anymore than this group is.

"Good!" Matthew laughed. "You really had us worried there, Cass." The whole table laughed along and it felt like the thick air between all of us dissipated.