Chapter 16 ❤️

"You should've stayed last night, Cass." It was finally lunch and Jackie and I were walking around the camp grounds, looking for a place to eat our lunch.

"So I could've been caught like you guys were?" I say, my mouth full after biting into a peanut and butter sandwich I made in the lunch hall.

"I was not caught!" She argues, screwing the top back on her Coke. "I was almost caught," she sticks her nose in the air as if "almost" being caught changed my opinion. "It's not my fault everyone else was slow and my Dad's assistant saw them."

"You tripped Nash who then tripped Matthew who then tripped Shawn-"

"I know what happened," Jackie cut me off, "I was there." She brought her soda back up to her lips to hide her smile.

"So technically you were the reason they were caught. It had nothing to do with being slow," I tell her taking a seat at a random wooden picnic table we came across.

Jackie sat down across from me and placed the bottle onto the table, "I guess if you wanna get technical, Cass, then yes I am the reason they're in trouble." I smile, happy to be victorious-not the slightly creepy TV show "Victorious" but actually triumphant.

"Whether or not it was intentional is another story," she chuckles, waving a finger at me.

"I'm not having this argument with you," I tell her. Adding, "only because I know I'm already right and don't need your confirmation."

"Yeah whatever," she mutters before looking away. I laugh and take the finishing bites of my sandwich.

"How long do you think the meeting is gonna take?" I say and cover my mouth so no piece of the incredibly prepared PB & J I made will fall out. I worked so hard on this thing before Jackie came and pulled me out the mess hall, and I was determined to enjoy every last piece of it

Before yanking me out, she had asked me if Id seen any of the other counselors and when I said no she told me exactly why. Apparently someone saw us leaving after curfew and told Rob's assistant Mark. Mark doesn't usually stay that late but last night he had to sort some files and someone had snitched. Mark had been looking all over camp last night for the counselors that had been spotted out, and after spotting a light from a flashlight on the other side of the lake, he made his way over. He must've just missed me and Aaron because only twenty minutes after we left Mark showed up. Poor unsuspecting Taylor, Carter, Johnson, and Jack had no chance to run. Mark walked up right behind them and they were officially caught. Jackie, who had just left to look for a place to pee, was one of the few who were pretty far away. She told me she immediately broke into a sprint when she recognized Mark's voice, and later caught up with the others like Cam and Shawn. They all were running as fast as they could by then. During this part of the story Jackie began laughing uncontrollably, telling me that I had to be there. She insisted that the boys, who were only in their underwear and shoes while trying to escape, were the most hilarious thing she's ever seen and I would've died of laughter if I was there. I put aside my sympathy for the boys and laughed. Just imagining the sight made me nearly cry laughing.

"If it was only my dad, probably twenty minutes," she said, still staring off toward the cabins. "But Mark's a totally different guy."

The moment was a rarity; it was quiet. Well, it was quiet for us. Since most of the kids were off eating lunch in the hall, the only exception being the small group of kids leaving their cabins to go have lunch, there was no yelling or shouting and instead it was peaceful. For some weird reason we've never left the lunch hall, and now that I see how much quieter it is out here, I just might have to force my friends to eat out here everyday. It's so open and beautiful out here especially in this time of year. It was now in the end of June and things were going to heat up really soon, so we better enjoy this weather while we can.