Chapter 28 ❤️

Hesitantly, I knock on the door.

All morning I have been debating about coming here, but after hours of mentally arguing, I realized it was the right thing to do. I had to do this for not only Carson, but my entire family.

I didn't wait long before the door swung open quickly. My Aunt Amy was gripping the door handle, a mixture of surprise and disappointment written across her face. "Cass?" She questioned. "What are you...?"

"Carson sent me here." I state and I see her grips loose slightly.

"Is she here with you?" Amy asks as she looks behind me for Carson possibly waiting outside.

I shake my head. "She asked me to talk to you for her," I tell her. My Aunt drops her head and nods.

"Come in." She steps aside after a moment has gone by, so there's enough room for me to enter. I walk into the house like I've done a million times before, but, even though I've been here a countless number of times, it all felt foreign to me. It was almost as if the new piece of information changed who she was entirely to me, even though her relationship to me never changed—unlike her and Carson's.

Without her needing to guide me, we make it to the living room and I take a seat opposite hers. I place my hands in my lap as she stares down at hers. "So I can assume she told you." Amy finally looks up and our eyes officially meet. She looks defeated even before the conversation has started, and I'm sure that she's held that glaze in her eyes since she found out Carson left.

"She has," I reply formally. The air was thick and I shifted in my seat to try and get comfortable.

"As soon as she left I knew she had found out," Amy says. "I've been waiting seventeen years for this, hoping it didn't come. But here it is." Yeah here it is! Just play this all off like it's not big deal! It's not like you ruined my entire family structure and shattered my past! I don't even look at her as she speaks. She didn't deserve my full attention.

"If you didn't want her to find out now you should've just told her earlier," I mutter under my breath, fury living in my words.

"Did you say something?" She asks not catching my blow at her. I turn to look at her, but don't say a word.
Letting her question go, Amy sighs before speaking again. "I'm sorry we didn't tell you guys earlier. Of all the ways to find out, this was probably the worst with you being separated and all. You were both supposed to be enjoying your summer, but now you're both stressed out and... Your parents and I really didn't want you two to find out this way." Amy looks down at the rug and I can't help but scoff. She looks up.

"You didn't want us to find out this way?" I repeat and I watch as her eyebrows furrow in confusion, not knowing where this was coming from. "More like you didn't want us to find out at all!" She can try to play me for stupid, but I know the truth.

"Cass–"

"You two were gonna hide this for as long as you could; there was no plan of telling us!" I move to the end of my seat so she can hear me better, even though my voice is clearly echoing through the entire house.

"Cass, no, we–"

"You were all just going to lie to us for the rest of our lives, making us believe something that wasn't true, hiding the evidence and warping pictures and memories so you can carry on with your lies, but we're not as stupid as you think—that or the world just went in our favor! Either way we deserved to know this!" I'm shoot up from by seat and tower over her. I find myself inching my way closer to her as my anger grows—which it just so happens to be doing rapidly.

"Did it, Cassidy?" My Aunt jumps up too, surprising me slightly, though I couldn't tell if her getting in my face or addressing me by my full name was what shocked me. Not even my mother referred to me by Cassidy when she was mad. "Is that what you believe? That you finding out about this was fate and this what you two deserved to know, because we were never gonna tell you? And yeah you're right we weren't ever gonna tell you, because you're just children! All you two did was get lucky and act like drama queens after! I understand Carson getting mad, but you? You're just whining to whine and you need grow up. Neither of you deserved to know this. Not Carson, and certainly not you, Cassidy."