Chapter 17 ❤️

"These kids are getting crazier and crazier by the minute," I huff as I lift the bottom of my shirt to wipe off sweat from my forehead. Finally the sun is going down along with the temperature, but we've been sitting out here in the heat for hours already and the sweat (sorry for the nasty image, but nonetheless true statement) just kept coming. All I have to say is thank God for night time.

Well, honestly, we could be inside the air conditioned buildings doing arts and crafts like the other groups, but, since it's one group per building, we aren't allowed to go in. Yep! I know just what you're thinking! Aren't Cam and I just one group? Well apparently not anymore! Since Cam refuses to acknowledge me, and since Alyssa still hates Jackie, it's been our groups together the past two days. Me and Jackie talking to each other while Cam and Alyssa are with each other, and it looks like they've gotten closer. Even Jackie's noticed it.

Sometimes while they walk in front of us Cam will put his arm around her body, placing his hand on her hip, which doesn't exactly scream "just friends" if you ask me. Sometimes he'll even brush her hair back behind her ear while we're all four in a group, after giving instructions to the kids. But each time he does something intimate like that, I seem to be around. And each time stuff like that happens the "little green monster" shows his face.

Once Jackie was very concerned about me, saying that I'll pop a blood vessel in my forehead if I continued to stare at them like that. As soon as I realized I was staring I peeled my eyes away and denied I ever looked in their direction. You're not bullshitting me, Jackie would say and I'd immediately change the subject.

"At least it's Friday!" Jackie says and I give her a strange look. "Just kidding!" She sing-songed. "We don't ever get a break from these tiny maniacs!" She sarcastically grins.

"Yaaay!" I chime in. "I don't regret my life choices at all!" We both laugh as the children's volleyball rolls to my feet. I pick it up from my spot on the sidelines and toss it back. As I toss it I can't help but catch sight of Alyssa laughing and leaning her head on Cam across the court. She casually places her hand on his knee as he chuckles along with whatever he said; the light perfectly capturing the two of them as if they were in some couple's teen-movie-love-montage. "What's with them?" I ask, sitting back down. "Are they dating now?"

"Doubt it," Jackie tells me and I raise an eyebrow. "If they were dating she'd definitely shove it down our throats. Probably going around and showing people how Cam 'upgraded' or whatever other conceded sounding word she would use."

I frown at the way she talks about Alyssa but brush it off. If she wanted to be your friend she wouldn't have abandoned you, I remind myself about Alyssa.

I stare a little longer at the two across from us, but as soon as I see Cam's head turn in this direction I hastily look away. "But you don't think there's any piece of her that still respects you and would feel guilty about dating Cam?" I ask, thinking about the kind girl I remember Alyssa as.

"No," Jackie replies without hesitation. "Why would she?"

Because! I want to whine and say, but that wouldn't be a very strong argument, so I keep my mouth shut. "I don't know. She was so nice the first day I met her and-"

"Cass," Jackie says as she takes her feet out of the sand court, "first impressions aren't always reliable. You hung out with her for what? A week?" Jackie slips on her flip flops and stands up. "Well I knew her for years. That girl is cutthroat. You wouldn't think it but she is but," she shrugs, "Campers, you're dismissed! Pack up! Or if you stay just make sure to return the volleyball to the shed after!" She shouts turning away from me for a second the turning back. "Don't you remember your first impression of me?" Jackie asks, back in our conversation.