Chapter 33 ❤️

So here is the ending almost a year later. Thanks to those still reading you're a trooper

___________________________________________________

It's 7:30 am by the time I'm dressed and eating cereal in the kitchen and no one in the house is awake besides me. This doesn't surprise me since Carson is know to never wake up before noon, just like her biological mother Aunt Amy, my mind adds and I stop in the middle of my chewing. Every time I think about it it feels like the first time. It's like an abrupt slap in the face of some reality that I didn't know could exist, but suddenly does. But every time that thought crosses my mind I remind myself that she is and always will be my sister no matter the exact biology. I love her and was raised beside her and nothing could ever change this.

With that I continue to contently eat my cereal and wait for Jackie.

As I eat alone in this silent house, my mind begins to wonder. Unsurprisingly the biggest questions of all comes up: Will Jack be there? Without noticing my heart begins to race and so does my mind. Would he show up after everything that happened? Is it even possible for him to come get his stuff another day instead? If I see him will he try and talk to me? Would I want to talk to him? No. I wouldn't. I couldn't. What he did was beyond unforgivable and he doesn't even deserve me to look in his direction after what he did. I can't even entertain the idea of forgiving him right now and since I'll never talk to him after this, I probably never will forgive him.

At that moment my phone goes off and I see a message from Jackie. I open the message to find out she's outside and quickly go to rinse my bowl out. Then, with a shrug, I place it in the sink for someone else to deal with and race out to the car. When I get in I look over to Jackie, who's sitting there with a smile that only slightly covered her frown—the frown capturing how she truly felt. I couldn't tell if she was sad for me or sad for herself and the fact that she lost one of her best friends only hours ago. Either way I felt somehow responsible. "Hey," she greeted me with the same sorrow filled smile.

"Hi," I returned a lazy smile and put on my seatbelt. Jackie put the car in drive and pulled out onto the street from her parking spot.

"How are you?" She asked me when we were farther down the road.

I looked out the window. "I don't know," I mumbled, but without the radio on she heard me clearly.

"You don't have to do this you know. We have enough counselors to help pack up all the equipment so you could just stay at your Aunts. I'll bring you your stuff too."

I sighed, "No I want to say goodbye to everyone before I leave. It's not like I'll be coming back next year so I cant save it for later."

Jackie sighed, "Yeah I understand. I wouldn't come back to camp either if I were you either." The smile was now completely gone and her true emotion came out with mine to match. "But I'll make sure to visit you at your Aunt's next summer when I have some free time at camp."

"No you can't," I told her and her head snapped over to look at me.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not coming here again," I said simply. I had just made this decision last night and she was the first one to hear about it. I thought that maybe if I didn't tell anyone then maybe I could change my mid later, but I shouldn't. I couldn't come back after all of this.

The trees going by seemed to move by much quicker, though the car's speed never changed. "Oh." Jackie's eyes were focused intently on the road ahead of us. "I guess I'll just call you or something then. Check in on things from time to time."