Chapter 31 ❤️

The lyrics from the music mushed together, leaving only the bass to fill the air around us. The party was loud, so loud that if there were others houses around the party would've been shut down in a second. But lucky for them their friend JC was well off and his family could afford this huge house that required a drive down to their neighbors. Something felt off about the night, but I brushed it off as a fear of the dark shadows that the trees surrounding the house casted.

"You ok?" Cam asked as he put his arm around me. I snapped out of my daze, realizing I was awkwardly staring directly at the party, my back to the car. I must have looked ridiculous.

I smiled and turned my body towards Cam, causing him have not choice but to drop his arm due to the new position—something I knew would happen if I turned. "Yeah," I simple answered.

Cameron's mouth twitched into a frown, but it was gone too quickly to say he actually frowned. My guess is that he didn't want me to know that he didn't believe me.

"Good," he replied and stepped ahead of me. "Let's go." He nodded his head toward the walkway, but didn't guide me nor touch me. I felt guilty that I started the night off with an uncomfortable feeling between us, but I couldn't help but be scared and take it out on someone else. I know I could easily turn to Cam to comfort me, but I didn't want him to. I just wanted to be distant and scared all on my own.

I felt as though I was walking into a battlefield without any kind of armor and I was right in the middle. I've only had to deal with these two groups at once for an hour at a time everyday in the lunch hall, but now what would happen that here were no borders to keep them apart? What would happen when there was alcohol and the fact that the end of our time together was coming to a close and people felt more provoked to say what they really want to? What happens when there's all these catalysts and nothing to keep them apart? Trouble. Trouble was inevitable and I was scared someone I cared about would be thrown into this.

People littered the porch and front lawn too. There wasn't much choice anyways since the party was nearly overflowing. It looked like at least every college student in this town was invited, with the accompaniment of some drunk high schoolers who thought they were extra cool to be at a college party. Cam pushed his way in, smiling at a few people here and there that he knew, and I followed behind.

As more and more girls watched him as he went by, I decided to hold onto his hand, which caused the girls to frown or glare. It was in the kitchen that I saw the first person I recognized. "Alyssa!" I shouted and the red haired girl looked up from the counter. Cam heard me call the name and looked for her. I pointed to her and we both made our way over.

"Hey!" She smiled at us as Cam and I pushed through. I kept my eyes on her l make sure I didn't lose her in the sea of people and watched as she looked back at us, eventually catching glimpse of our intertwined hands. I looked away then to the floor for the rest of the walk, letting Cameron lead the way.

"Hey, Lyssa," Cam said giving her a hug.

"Hi," she greeted him back before doing the same to me. "Did you guys just get here?"

"Yeah," I answered. "You're the first person we've really seen."

"Oh well I've been here for about twenty minutes and you guys are the first people I've seen too so I'm glad we now have each other!" She clapped her hands together. "Well I've seen people like Carter and Aaron and Taylor and blah, but no one I like, so yay! I'm glad we found each other!" She grabbed my hand excitedly and I held hers compliantly.

"Cameron! Cass!" Someone shouted out, but we barely heard it over the music. We all three searched for who called the name, but it wasn't until Matthew came five feet away from us that we saw him. "Hey all of us have the couches in the living room, come join us," he told us, smiling.