💫 17 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

Colby apparently had made the decision to avoid me, or at least, not to breach the topic of what was going on with us. I didn't mind because living in denial was bliss, but I knew some day we'd have to face it. Like when we climbed into bed together and hesitated to fall asleep, lying in silence. Luckily, my ability to drop off allowed me to avoid that awkward encounter and just enjoy what it was like to sleep next to someone.

However, after two nights of discussing how to best deal with Aiden and his devoted weapon, Paula, with a strategy put in place to deal with both potential outcomes, I was standing in the kitchen making food in my large shirt and shorts, having woken up starving before Colby, and felt a breeze lead up behind me. My ears refocused from those talking in the living room to the man behind me as his hands landed on my hips, turning me around.

I naturally leaned back against the counter, my hands resting at the edge either side, as he leaned down with one palm to my cheek and kissed me lightly on the lips. I was frowning when he pulled back, confused by the affection.

"Are you going to behave tomorrow?" he asked, completely ignoring what had just happened.

I glared at him. "Now that you've said that, probably not," I snapped, trying to turn back to my food. But he didn't let me, gripping both of my hips firmly in his hands and staring directly into my eyes. I huffed dramatically, and he circled his arms so I was trapped against him. "What's wrong with you? Feeling extra lonely tonight, or something?"

"Or something," he muttered. "Answer the question properly, Amira."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not going to behave, but I am going to do my best to listen to Mike. He seems to know what he's doing. Now, hands off me."

"Why?" he countered, and I had to admit, I didn't know what to say. With the clan just across the hall probably listening to this, I didn't want to confess to my confusion over everything, to how I was actually slowly considering that maybe accepting my mate fully wouldn't be so bad.

With no answer, Colby's eyes flicked down to my lips and he leaned close enough to brush his nose against mine without actually closing the gap. I immediately became frustrated as I titled my head upward slightly, silently asking for what he was offering. But he didn't kiss me. It was a game to him.

Smirking, he titled his head to one side as he said, "You're still in denial, huh?"

"Aren't you?" I growled.

"No, but I haven't decided what I want yet." He trailed his fingers up my side until he was able to take a hold of my jaw, keeping me right where he wanted me.

"You're annoying," I grumbled pathetically. I hated how much these little touches were actually affecting me, how much they made me think about what we'd done a few days ago.

He smiled as if he could sense it. "You're only saying that because you secretly want me. Otherwise you'd have ripped my stomach open by now."

I scowled. "I'm still considering it."

"Go ahead."

I placed my hand flat on his stomach without looking away from his pretty eyes, but feeling the tingles through my fingertips despite the fabric of his shirt separating our direct contact, I practically groaned and slid my hand up his chest to the back of his neck instead. I linked my fingers together, and he held me by the small of my back.

"If you knew how much I hate you right now..."

"Uh-huh," he murmured, finally leaning down to close the gap between us. I sucked in a breath as our lips connected, sifting one hand through his hair and pressing at his chest with the other. A gentle tug was all it took for Colby to pry open my mouth and slide his tongue inside, grasping me so hard I couldn't pull away if I tried.