💫 21 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

KATRINA STUART

"They're so unbelievably cute and it's so hard to explain why," I whispered after Colby and Amira had disappeared upstairs.

After their kiss, they didn't stay for long before Amira claimed she was tired still and left, and Colby just disappeared right after. I chose not to listen to what was going on up there because I didn't need to scar my ears any more than I already had from last time.

Devyn smiled. "It's fairly obvious."

"Yeah," Tara agreed. "We're seeing Colby act like a school kid crushing on someone; teasing her every opportunity he gets, yet doing things for her she doesn't even know about."

Mike scratched the back of his head. "How long do you think it'll take them?"

I frowned. "To what?"

"To seal the deal."

"How is that any of our business?" I scolded, looking to Cassie for help. She was just as annoyed by his question as me, almost glaring at Mike for even saying it. But he looked defensive.

"It isn't any of your business, but it's mine. From what I understand about werewolves and their mates, if she marks him, she'll become stronger. It's tied to the bond. By the same token, if Colby's feeding on her, he'll be stronger, too."

"What makes you think he'll feed on her?" Sam questioned in confusion.

"Right, you don't know." Mike chuckled to himself, shaking his head, while Sam just continued to furrow his brows completely oblivious. I was just as uncertain as him.

Tara, however, looked like she wanted to blush. "You guys never got that far," she explained, "but uh... vampires having sex with humans and vampires having sex with each other is completely different." She shifted on Jake's lap, which caused him to tense up slightly. We all ignored it. "We only know from experience with Ones, which works for this situation.

"Essentially, the vampire's... lust is tied to their thirst. Regardless of how well-fed Colby is, if they have sex, he's going to feel as thirsty as he is turned on, which means he's more likely to bite her. Obviously, if she doesn't agree to it and he does it anyway, their bond will temporarily break and it'll be torture for him, but if she does agree to it..."

"I can't see her agreeing to it, personally," Cassie admitted with a shake of her head. "She accepts us as friends and now him as her mate, but that doesn't mean she's that comfortable with vampires yet."

"Yet," Kevin pointed out.

She shrugged. "I just can't see it."

A quiet moan from upstairs reached our ears, causing some of us to flinch and the rest to smirk and snicker among themselves. I was one of those flinching, feeling awful for overhearing their personal moments.

Though, listening to them earlier in the kitchen, I was reminded of Sam at first. He'd been so gentle, so apologetic all the time. I never understood before why he beat himself up so much for hurting me, but now knowing the secret, I got it. He was scared he'd do something irreparable. So was Colby.