💫 23 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

I sighed heavily as I rooted through the cupboards in the kitchen searching for something different. Katrina always bought the same stuff knowing what I liked and didn't like, but that meant for close to a month now, my meals had been the same every time.

Pressing my lips together, my eyes drew toward Colby, who was stood leaning against the counter to face Mike across the island. They were discussing our next encounter with Aiden, how to go about it since we didn't want to get caught off guard at any point, and I'd stop listening not long ago when I grew too hungry to care. I considered asking his permission to go out and get something different, like Chinese or sushi or literally anything that wasn't basic.

When I realised I shouldn't have to ask permission to leave the house, I slipped by them, ignoring the looks sent in my direction, and jogged up the stairs to Colby's room where — by this point — most of my stuff was. I grabbed my keys and wallet, supporting them in one hand, and checked my phone for how long I had until everything closed. It was a mere half an hour.

Hurrying back downstairs, I started to turn for the front door, but my name was called. And not by who I expected... to an extent.

"Amira, where are you off to?" Cassie took a few steps out of the kitchen but it wasn't enough to differentiate her thoughts from the others'. More specifically, it wasn't enough to hide the fact she was doing it for Colby.

"I want something different," I answered honestly with a sigh. "I don't have long before most restaurants close, so please don't delay me. I'm practically starving right now."

Cassie smiled. "Let me come with you."

"Am I not an adult? Can't I go anywhere on my own?"

"Not at night." Colby's voice was firm and distracted, his mind far more occupied with whatever point in the conversation he and Mike had reached.

I crossed my arms silently, waiting for his gaze to meet mine. He was confused why I hadn't responded aloud until he saw my face. Like me, he didn't bother with arguing or saying anything else, portraying very clearly on his face that his mind would not change. Neither would mine.

So I just shook my head and turned for the door again, making it only a few steps before Cassie was once more in my way. She looked apologetic as she said, "Why don't you order?"

"It's too late for that." I was getting impatient now, my voice growing more annoyed that I was being treated like a child.

"If it's too late to order, it's too late to go out," she continued, gently taking my shoulder to turn me around.

I swatted her hand away. "I'm not a fucking kid, Christ. I think you'll find I survived just fine alone for years, I don't need to be swaddled. I won't be gone long."

"Amira-"

"I'm going." I walked passed Cassie to the door, almost stomping like the very thing I claimed not to be, and unlocked my car from the front step. As I hopped down onto the driveway, I felt a breeze next to me. "No," was all I said, turning to glare.

Colby cocked his head to one side. "You're not going out alone."

"Yes, I am, because I am a full-grown woman, thank you very much. I can handle myself and won't let you or any of the others treat me like I'm a fragile little-"

"It's for my peace of mind. Besides, you literally can't stop me if I choose to come with you."

"I'll run you over," I warned.