💫 50 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

COLBY BROCK

"You must be confused."

Luna didn't even move from her chair as or after Amira left, merely looking at me across the room in silence until now. I was hesitant to speak to her alone, silently begging Amira with my eyes not to leave, but she hadn't given much thought to my expression and left anyway. Whatever Luna had to say, I was concerned why she thought she couldn't say it in front of Amira herself.

"The reason I wanted you alone is because I know I can trust you with information that Amira would take too seriously. What I'm about to tell you, you must keep quiet about until the right moment comes. Can you do that?"

"Keep it from Amira?" I questioned, narrowing my gaze at Luna. I didn't like where this was going at all. I wanted out of this conversation.

She nodded. "Yes. No matter what. Can you do that?"

Hesitant once more, I began to agree, and Luna swept up from her seat on the chair. She walked closer to the licking flames, illuminating her fiery hair in the dim room. Her eyes were locked down at the light, like it had her mesmerised.

"Good, that's good, young man. I have already told the both of you that Amira was born to become an alpha. Her strength was always the first sign, but her ability to grow so independent and wilful has aided my diagnosis. Something we have kept secret as much as possible, however, is what this actually means.

"You might assume it means she would find battling an alpha for their position easier — to an extent, you would be right. It's the side effect it comes with, though, that has been hidden for some time."

"Is it dangerous for her?"

Luna weighed her hands. "I have lived this long without it causing any particular issues. It can be... uncomfortable at times."

I was becoming increasingly more fed up the longer she avoided telling me what was going to happen to Amira — or whatever this side effect was. She caught the look on my face and smiled slightly, amused now.

"Alright, I'll just tell you, as long as I have your word this won't get back to Amira?"

"Fine, you have my word," I almost snapped, and Luna nodded again.

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

AMIRA ANDREWS

As curious as I was about what Mama Luna wanted to speak to Colby about, I didn't question him. We returned to the house and sat down in the living room, all alone, with the knowledge that day wouldn't come for another couple of hours. It felt strange to be completely alone with him. I realised for the first time that we'd never truly been alone, not like this. There was always someone who was able to hear us, a nagging in the back of my mind that we couldn't say absolutely anything we wanted.

Whether or not Colby had come to that conclusion, I wasn't sure when I shuffled across the couch and used his leg as leverage to kiss his cheek. He seemed to jump, as if he was lost in thought, and caught my eye with the brightest of blues.

"You look concerned," I realised, analysing the way his face was contorted into a distracted, puzzled expression.

He shrugged and raised his arm behind my shoulders, tugging me in so I could lay my head on his chest. I did, but I kept my head tilted back to stare at him.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Just my head playing tricks," he dismissed, lifting his other hand to brush my hair back from my face. His eyes were darting around my features relentlessly. He was lying to me, that much was clear, but I figured it had something to do with Mama Luna, so I decided to drop it.