💫 36.5 💫

a very short mini chapter to keep you waiting longer 😉

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

COLBY BROCK

Aiden clearly didn't give much of a shit about his clan, otherwise this hideout would be a little more protected.

It could hardly be considered a building; breaking down with smashed windows and the stench of human drugs everywhere. I was finding it hard to stand even a mile away, let alone just feet from its parking lot.

"It's an easy target, at least," Kevin offered as he examined the various entry points. With the state of the building, there was no way it was protected by a threshold of any kind unlike our house. Easy pickings for anyone who came by. Perhaps that was why it was meant to be so secret.

I crouched and crept closer, staying just out of hearing range for anyone inside. "It doesn't matter how easy it looks, what matters is who's inside. We can't allow ourselves to get caught off-guard."

"Aiden's good at subverting expectations," Sam agreed with a firm nod of his head. "A surprise attack would definitely work in our favour, though."

"If we surround the building, we- argh." I was cut off by a surge of pain that suddenly hit my chest. My hand came up to my shirt, rubbing uncomfortably where it'd hit.

Sam bent down beside me. "What's wrong, brother?"

"Colby?" Corey added nervously.

I crumpled down to my knees as I struggled to breathe for a couple of seconds, gasping as if I actually needed the air. Corey's eyes widened in realisation, but he was a second late.

"It's A-Amira," I stuttered through the pain, recognising the phantom feeling of agony that wasn't actually my own. "It's her pain."

Sam reached out to grasp my shoulders with terror on his face, which really wasn't helping. "What pain? How do you know it's hers?"

"Is she in danger? We can head back right now," Mike muttered, genuine concern in his voice.

The pain was quickly subsiding for me, but I knew Amira's wasn't just going to stop. She needed me and she needed me now. What was I still doing here?

"I lied to her," I said quickly to the others as I regained control of my aching body, bit by bit. "I went on her phone because I had a feeling that- ugh... I had a feeling it's been a month. I forgot to tell her."

Kevin was frowning. "Forgot to tell her what?"

"It's time for her heat."

With that proclamation, I was gone. It was far from over but I couldn't stand to be apart from her any longer knowing I was only feeling half of what she was. My agony was dished out only as a warning because I was so far from her during such an important time. My body was telling me to get my ass in gear and get back to my One, and that was my only intention.

By the time I reached the house what felt like an eternity later, Devyn, Tara, Jake and Reggie were all downstairs in the living room sitting upright in alarm. My One's screams of pure agony echoed through the house, igniting a fire within me to make it all stop.

"Where is she?" I demanded the small group. My mind was too muddled to chase her scent.

"Ice bath," Tara answered in a rush. "Your bathroom. Go!"

I zipped to the stairs.

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎