💫 33 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

COLBY BROCK

I'd tried not to get distracted from the security footage on Dima's computer, but it was hard when my One was talking about despising the idea of our logical next step. Something in my chest felt tight with every word she spoke, every bit of unease I could hear in her voice.

Was she trying to piss me off? Making out that letting her bite me was any different from letting me bite her? Regardless of whether it was a repeat action, I did let her bite me regularly. I knew how much she liked it, secretly, and how it pleased the wolf within her... and admittedly, there was something exciting about a pair of canines latching onto my neck in the midst of heated moments for me, too.

What was annoying about all of this was that she'd decided to talk about it when we were around other vampires; vampires who were most definitely able to hear even if they didn't want to. Dima hadn't said a word about it, but I'd seen him flinch in the corner of my eye right after Amira began to freak out about it all because of Sam. I, too, chose to pretend like I didn't hear a thing, like she wasn't openly talking about a very private aspect of our relationship around strangers.

Her conversation with Cassie had ended about fifteen minutes ago, not long after Dima moved onto photographs his clan had taken of foreign vampires taking his feeds home with them, instead. They were always just out of hearing range.

"You're not being paranoid," I told him as I handed the manila folder back, eyes on his computer. "I recognise one of those vamps, they're from Aiden's clan directly. He's sniffing around you."

"Trying to boycott, or something?" Dima asked as he settled on the corner of his desk. His whole body was stiff and I'd yet to see a smile on his face since we were alone.

I nodded. "Something like that."

"Shit."

"Confront them if you see them again, but not before contacting us," I said, raising from his chair to my full height and taking a step away toward the door. "We'll make sure we get here before anything happens between you. A fight with them is one you're likely to lose."

Dima slowly weighed his hands. "We're stronger than we were before, but I appreciate the offer. I'm glad Sam got in touch, we really didn't know what to do about these vamps or those rumours going around."

I pressed my lips together in annoyance. Some of those rumours included Amira, which would throw a wrench in our plans if we wanted to use her undercover again. If she was human, it wouldn't be an issue, but a werewolf randomly showing up at a vampire's den would now be suspicious, especially if any of those rumours included how goddamn gorgeous she was.

"I'm gathering my allies together soon," I explained, distracted by the images in my head, "so you'll all be aware. It'll be a short meeting. I can't have you together for too long, it's an easy target."

"I get it," Dima agreed briefly, nodding. He reached out so I clasped my hand with his, allowing him to drag me into a brief bro-hug. "Yo, just to settle things, I wasn't making a pass at your girl. Just being friendly."

I sighed. "I know, it wasn't my choice to react the way I did."

"Pain in the ass, ain't it?"

I shrugged a shoulder without responding, and motioned to the door. He vaguely gestured in that direction so we both headed back out into the main room. My eyes narrowed in on my One immediately, standing beside that dented claw machine where Tara was trying to win something for Jake. She looked like she was trying to smile, but her lips just couldn't quite make the effort.