💫18 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

I didn't kill any of them, the vampires I attacked. As much as I wanted to, I avoided ripping out their hearts and just stuck to my favourite of ripping their throats out. With the help of Cassie and Kevin, we'd taken down all of the weak members of Aiden's group and left them to heal their damn selves on the sand knowing they wouldn't wake up for an hour at least.

It was a matter now of waiting for Colby and the others to come back, preferably with Aiden's head. While we waited, I looked up at the sky, at the moon high up there shining down on us, and I felt the need to sit down and speak to the Goddess. Or at least feel her presence. It felt like it'd been forever since I'd just sat and absorbed the comfort she gave off.

So I knelt in the sand and closed my eyes, my head tilted up, feeling her power surrounding me with every second that passed by. She was strong tonight, all-encompassing. All of my senses focused in on it, blanking out everything else around me.

In my head, too afraid to speak out loud, I ended up thanking her. Regardless of my rocky relationship with Colby, she had brought me to a group of people I'd come to like. I could see myself fitting in with this group, staying with them until the end of time. Especially those who brightened up my nights; Cassie, Katrina, even Sam. I was genuinely grateful she'd led me to that party and pushed me to see that these people could actually be 'my people'. With a little time, who knew how strong the bond I'd inwardly felt growing with them would turn out to be?

"You're welcome, sweet child," her gorgeous voice replied to me, as I opened my eyes just enough to see how much brighter the moon was now. It was like the light was only on me, shining down like a beacon. "You've done well to push passed your prejudices, but you're not quite there yet. There is a long road ahead of you. Tonight, you have set into motion a series of events that will make or break you, and only time will tell whether your mateship will prosper or fall because of it."

I found myself frowning, confused and unsure of what she could mean. She couldn't tell me all she knew, it was too much for my mind to comprehend, but I had to know just a little more.

"Patience, child. When your mate returns, he will need you. Do not disappoint me."

As I opened my mouth to respond aloud for the first time, I felt her slipping away, and everyone focused in on a different voice instead. I snapped out of it, blinking once then turning just my head to see Colby coming to an abrupt stop in front of Mike, Cassie and Kevin — the three vampires who'd stayed with me to knock out Aiden's clan. He looked a little distraught, eyes wild.

"Sam's hurt?" Mike echoed in confusion, and I instantly rose to my feet.

"Not badly, but yes."

We all turned as Corey zipped out of the dark supporting Sam. He was hopping and there were dark stains on the yellow shirt he wore. It looked like he'd been punched in the stomach — which had gone right through him.

"He needs blood," Colby continued.

"We can take him to the Hospital, they'll have blood there. It's closer," Mike suggested, pulling his phone out and typing something at the speed of light.

I frowned. Was this what the Goddess meant? Was she asking me to offer myself to save Sam? Not that he would kill me...

"What about her?"

My head snapped to the side, but Jake wasn't looking at me, he was looking at the woman Aiden had preyed on. I felt a growl emanate from my chest instantly. "She's already been through enough, leave her alone."