💫 49 💫

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

Similarly to the shrine, Mama's home was shrouded by trees, hidden from the public eye yet nothing like a fortress. There were no walls or security, just a house completely on its own. It was a small house, too, fit for just one person. Perfectly reasonable as I couldn't smell or hear another being whatsoever.

Inside looked just as nondescript as outside. It truly was just a simple place for her to reside without trouble. I felt at home instantly, but even after being invited in, Colby was on edge. He kept a firm hold on my hand like we were stood in front of an enemy he thought would pounce at any moment. It was amusing to see him so nervous over nothing but his own paranoia.

I followed Mama Luna into what I assumed was the living room, where the only places to sit were a small couch and a chair much like the ones Sam and Katrina sat in. Maybe if just gotten used to living in a house with far too many people, but the room felt empty. Even covered in clutter and little decor items, it just looked... small. I needed to get out of the house more often.

Colby and I sat on the couch while Mama Luna dropped elegantly into the chair as if we were in some kind of couples therapy. In the glow of a fire I didn't even notice until that moment, she almost looked angelic.

"You look very uncomfortable, young man," she said, looking beside me at the rigid posture of my mate. I'd noticed, too. "Why is that? Do you feel as though you are in danger, or are you simply... intimidated by me?" She had a small smirk on her face, teasing him, and I instantly knew the two of us were going to get along.

Colby clearly didn't appreciate her prodding, but he replied, "You mean a lot to Amira. To me, not so much. I'm not used to showing respect to anyone who hasn't proved they're worthy of it."

"What does one have to do to earn your respect?"

"It depends."

Mama Luna considered his answer for a few moments of silence, then smiled wider and nodded. Whatever she was thinking, I had no clue, but she didn't seem to mind that he'd practically admitted he didn't respect her. I supposed centuries on this Earth either instilled an endless amount of patience or utter rage within a person. Luckily she had fallen into the prior option. "Amira, I know you have much to ask me about, however I have been trying to get you here for a long time now. Would you be willing to divert off course for a short time?"

"Um... sure?" I replied slowly, scared of what she would bring up. I'd never been a role model werewolf. I was disobedient to my alpha — to the point of eventually leaving the pack entirely, despises pack life and avoided it, wasn't even friends with any wolves besides one, and although I still worshipped the Goddess to the ends of the Earth, I didn't talk to her nearly as much anymore. That didn't account for the fact I was with a vampire, in his clan, and preferring it over packs.

There was so much she could have laid into me for, but...

"I am truly pleased with you."

My entire body clenched harder than my brace for her words. Shock was the least of my emotions as I stared at her completely blankly, unsure of what to say in response.

"Your dedication to people shines brighter than almost any other wolf I have ever seen. Not only that, your dedication to yourself and your own happiness trumps even my own. It's never mattered who's hurt you, you've always strived to find your own place in the world, and that's the exact sort of thing more wolves should be doing.

"Maybe since I am the Goddess's mouthpiece, I should be promoting the idea of packs and the typical structure that has been around for centuries — which I do still believe in, but what many wolves fail to see is that some people simply aren't cut out for that lifestyle.