Chapter 24

So we went on our honeymoon in Bora Bora and you can guess what we did. Currently its October and tomorrow is Karwa Chauth so today I am busy making all this food. we were all getting together and doing it at my house.

I had a shower and changed into some new clothes at 3 o'clock in the morning, Nate was up to helping me. I couldn't use a knife or cook today so he had to crack the coconut for me. My mom sister, and I were sat at the table. We started eating and we had to finish before sunrise.

We would fast the whole day, and eat again after seeing the moon. The day passed by and Nate went to work. He couldn't touch me today, so he was pouting.

The story of Karwa Chauth is that a girl by the name of Veeravati, she was the only sister of her seven loving brothers, who was married to a king. On the occasion of the first Karva Chauth after her marriage, she went to her parents' house. After sunrise, she observed a strict fast. However, the queen couldn't stand the rigors of fasting and was desperately waiting for the moon to rise. The seven brothers who loved her dearly, were very disturbed watching the distress of their sister and decided to end her fast by deceiving her. Then the brothers reflected a mirror through Pipal tree leaves. The sister, taken it as moon rise, broke the fast and took food. However, the moment the queen ate her dinner, she received the news that her husband, the king, was seriously ill.

The queen rushed to her husband's palace and on the way, she met Lord Shiva and his consort, Goddess Parvati. Parvati informed her that the king had died because the queen had broken her fast by watching a false moon. However, when the queen asked her for forgiveness, the goddess granted her the boon that the king would be revived. But to achieve this, she would have to undertake the Karva Chauth fast under strict rituals, then only her husband would come top life. Thus, by strictly following all the rituals of Karva chauth, queen Veeravati relivened her husband.

The Karwa Chauth fast is done by women who are married for their long life welth health and prosperity and some unmarried girls do it for their future husband, to receive a husband who is caring and loving.

I used to do this fast, ever since I was 11, and it came through for me.

Night time came and Nate came home, we set out to find the moon, we spotted it and got out of the car, we said the words and Nate was going to give me water. I took the glass and gave him some first.

"I know you haven't eaten since this morning with us" he gave me some water and fed me some Indian sweets and I gave him some.

"I asked your dad if I could do it to and he told me that he did it for your mom, so I wanted to do it too" he gave me a small hug and we went home.

Nate ate like a pig and I smiled "I wonder how you survived today" he laughed

"I have no idea, I just buried myself in work" the day was over and we went to bed.