Chapter 14-A visit to Italy (emotions)

Rosalie's POV

"Yes" I answered mum as I laid on the bed. "That was the only condition and I accepted."

"Oh God Rosie" she tugged on her hair and sighed. "I'm very scared. Did he say it's a business trip? Are you following him for business purpose?" Mum questioned again.

Her face creased and her amber eyes laced with worry.

"I don't know" I answered honestly. No matter the amount of questions I asked Mr. Alexander, he only gave sketchy replies.

"You're following me to Italy" was his reply.
Oh yeah, coupled with "you'll know when we get there"

I didn't grasp why he needed me in Italy but I bet it's for business purposes. Why else will he need me?

"I'm scared, if not because we need the money, I wouldn't allow you go Rosie, I feel so terrible."

Hopelessness and emptiness filled my heart and I sighed despondently. A part of me trusted Mr. Alex. He had shown me kindness several times. I was sure he couldn't have a bad plan.

What if the niceness was so you could fall into his trap?

My subconscious asked and I paused. That too was a valid reason. Because — he went from cold to warm!

What if it was because he could get my trust?

I groaned as I rolled on the bed. But what choice do I have? I had to pay those thugs.

I wasn't ready for any torture they could make me go through.

"I know you're not willing; you just want to do this for me" mum sniffed and bit on her lip. "I feel like a terrible mother."

"Mum!" I called wide-eyed. "Please don't say that, you've done a lot already" I mumbled and sat up.

She chested all of my responsibilities. She was a young single mother. She played the role of a father in my life.

At that, I paused. Would things be the same if I had a father? Will I have to wallow in self pity if I had a father?

I bet not.

"Mum?" I found myself calling and she turned to me. "Would things be the same if dad was here?" I queried.

"Rosie please" she turned sideways and sniffled. "Don't let us talk about that"

"Why?" I asked in a whisper. "You never told me about him. You only said you didn't meet him in the last city. When did he die? What went wrong? Why don't I know any of his family?" I shot at her and she batted her lashes.

"Rosie—" she took a deep breath and ruffled her hair. "I think you should know —"

"Know what —" my brows arched as curiosity took the best of me. "What happened?" I asked hoping it wasn't what popped up in my head.

Of course she couldn't have lied that my father was dead.

"Your father might not be dead" she dropped the bombshell and I went still. My lips went agape as I tried to process it.

Did she lie to me for 22 years?

"No Rosie, it's not what you're thinking. I promise I didn't lie. I didn't know how he was fairing" her voice broke and she sniffed. "Your father and I parted long before you were born."

It hit me like a missile. My heart failed to function and my lungs stopped as I processed it.

Why did they split? Was it because of me? It wasn't a night stand from her words. Was it that he didn't want me? The tears stung my eyes and in no time they rolled down.