What if...? #6

What if... idk I wanted to write more hurt/comfort (this doesn't actually go with the story, but in an alternate universe it could, and that's good enough for me!)

⚠️ tw: alluding to sexual trauma ⚠️

Partner

Rainy days were perfect, but rainy nights never were that great. Sirius knew it was one thing to be able to sit by the window with his cat, Puddles, in his lap as he read a book and the patter of rain drummed against the window, but rainy nights were always a different story. He almost grew to anticipate the loud ringing of his floo to drown out the never ending pitter patter of the rain, but not every call was the same.

In a lot of them, he was getting yelled at- being the verbal punching bag that was needed so terribly badly that he didn't even mind it anymore. Remus would sometimes call him just to scream about how much better off he would be if he never knew Sirius. Those calls usually ended in muffled sobs and eventual soft snores. A call or owl the next morning meant an apology; no call meant Remus had lost access floo privileges and was being kept from the owls.

James got involved on the mornings Sirius' floo didn't ring. He seemed to be the only one with any power over Remus' boyfriend, Fennigan. Any time Sirius came around, it only escalated the tension between the couple, but James could usually smooth things over and 1) convince Fennigan that Remus should go out and 2) actually coax Remus to leave.

Even when James managed to steal Remus away from his own home, Sirius couldn't see him. Somehow Fennigan always knew and that always made it worse.

One night when rain was pattering the windows Sirius' floo rang and it was James on the other end, not who'd Sirius been anticipating.

"Hey James," Sirius sighed and settled in with a piping hot cup of tea. He examined James through the portal and noticed an unusual tightness to his features.

"Hey Sirius. We've gotta get him out of there."

Sirius sighed and Puddles hopped into his lap. "Why now? What will make him leave this time?"

"Oh, we're not giving him a choice. Peter intercepted an owl to Sev.." flames sputtered over James' face, "it's bad, Sirius."

Dread was building in Sirius' chest. While this wouldn't be the first time Sirius and James attempted to sever the connection to Fennigan that Remus seemed so adamant to keep, or the first time Fennigan had really hurt Remus, it was the first time they were going in without the intention to give Remus a choice.

"But, most of Fennigan's pack mates are apparently out for the evening to celebrate one of their engagements and yeah, Fen is still there.. but this might be our only chance."

Sirius nodded. "James, I don't want you to lose your job- with a baby on the way-"

James' face told Sirius just how unimpressed he was. "Sirius, we thwarted one of the potentially most powerful dark wizards of our time. The department is already butt hurt they couldn't keep you, they wouldn't let me go."

Sirius wasn't convinced.

"And if they do, their loss. My vaults are plenty full."

"James," Sirius scratched at his perpetual five 'o clock shadow, "he might never forgive us if we drag him away."

"I won't forgive myself if we don't finally get him out of there." James looked pointedly at him, "will you?"

That's why Sirius found himself standing outside of the compound that Remus lived in with Fennigan and the rest of his pack mates. There were a few lower ranking pack members on patrol, but James had always been allowed in to see Remus and Sirius had the invisibility cloak draped over himself.