The Erumpent in the Room

The boys took their normal spots in the car. Remus and Peter sat across from Sirius and James, respectively. They were joined this time by Lily who sat between James and Sirius.

Sirius couldn't help but look at Remus. He hadn't changed much over the last two months; he was still incredibly lanky- his arms and legs were almost too long for his body, Sirius caught glimpses of sea blue eyes every so often even though Remus all but refused to make and main eye contact. From the hug they shared earlier, Sirius could tell that Remus was still hiding a good amount of muscle under his scratchy sweater, this thought made Sirius smile.

Time seemed to pass quickly. The five friends didn't run out of things to talk about.

"I'm gonna go track down the snack cart again!" James said abruptly. "Lily, would you like to come?"

The beautiful girl smiled and extended her hand to the already standing James, inviting him to help her out of her seat.

The pair left in a hurry. "I can't believe it." Peter squeaked. "I never thought she'd come around."

Sirius nodded in response. "I figured they'd get together at some point. It was kind of inevitable if you ask me."

Remus remained quiet still.

"It's kind of frustrating, really. Now he's going to spend all of his time with her." Peter went on ranting.

"Relax, man." Sirius said in defense of James. "You just need to find a girl too. Then you'll understand why James is so wound up about her."

Peter huffed in protest. "How would you know? It's not like you've ever had one. And I don't just mean some random girl you shag in a broom closet."

Remus cringed at this comment, thinking back to letter Sirius had sent him. "They've been gone too long, don't you think?" Remus finally joined the conversation. "Maybe someone should go make sure they're alright. Make sure they didn't run into Snivellus or Lucius."

Peter nodded furiously. "I can go!" He said enthusiastically as he scampered out the door.

"It's going to be a long year." Sirius said to break the tension.

Remus chuckled still not meeting Sirius' gaze, "that's for sure."

An awkward silence fell over the pair.

Finally Sirius spoke up again, "Remus, can we not do this?"

"Hmm?" mumbled Remus, finally meeting Sirius' dusty grey eyes.

"You're being awkward." Sirius pointed out matter of factly.

"I'm just not sure how to act, that's all. I agreed to not tell James about what you wrote me. And if he notices us acting different, he's gonna think something's up." Remus rebuttaled defensively, more so than was necessary.

Sirius laughed. "You think 'Mr. I'm so in love with Lily Evans' is going to notice anything but her. Ha! Ten galleons says they'll be snogging when Peter finds them."

Remus chuckled also, "James won't be happy that we sent Peter after him."

The two boys laughed together.

"How was your, um, transformation?" Sirius asked.

"Same as normal," Remus lied, better this time than before. "How were Walburga and Orion."

A somber look crossed Sirius' face before he spoke. "I hate them."

Remus nodded, he didn't consider this feeling an overreaction like most other people did. "I truly wish you didn't have to deal with them."