Epilogue

A lot of people want to think that love can change you or change the outcome of your life.

It doesn't. Not really.

When James and Peter returned from holiday classes began again and between the lunar cycle, preparing for exams, helping Peter become an Animagus, and mapping Hogwarts, the four boys found themselves rather occupied.

That's not to say they didn't find time for other things. Sirius and Remus only grew closer while James finally seemed to be making some progress with Lily, which Remus teased her relentlessly for.

Some things did change, of course they did. Rumors buzzed around the castle that students from all Houses were joining dark wizards. Some of them even pledged to Voldemort and received the Dark Mark. Apparently a young Black heir was one of them.

The news crushed Sirius, but it didn't necessarily surprise him.

But with all bad things there came good things. Sirius turned his attention to helping Peter. With the ladies, with charms, with becoming an Animagus. Peter became somewhat of the little brother Sirius wanted back so badly.

After graduating from Hogwarts, the four marauders, Lily, and a handful of their friends joined the Order. They were all pulled in different directions. Until, Lily and James found out they were pregnant. Sirius was happy for them, of course he was, but he was even happier that Dumbledore gave him, Remus and Peter a few weeks off of assignments after Lily gave birth to Sirius' new favorite thing: Prongs Junior.

Now, Sirius never thought too far a head. And at the time, he very likely did not realize the impact that his friendship with a certain someone would have.

At least not until he found a weathered Peter Pettigrew crumbled on his doorstep. "It's Harry."

Sirius Black was never supposed to be one of the most magical people to live. Walburga and Orion were supposed to snuff any spark of power if Sirius wouldn't be willing to submit to the dark side.

They never anticipated that Sirius would cross paths with a sandy haired, amber eyed werewolf.

Remus Lupin was never supposed to be allowed at Hogwarts. He spent 11 years of his life believing that. Albums Dumbledore, however, didn't share that notion.

It's strange, looking back, what events shaped the outcome of October 31, 1981.

A lot of them are important. Sirius' friendship with Peter, one night in the forbidden forest, and the powerful magic flowing through him. But perhaps the most important was Sirius' disagreement with Albus Dumbledore.

The Order of the Phoenix did some shady things, but Dumbledore always warned against using Unforgivables.

Sirius wanted it to be over.

And he knew that between his potent family lineage and the beautiful pairing of his and Remus' magic, he had the power to do it.

So when Voldemort showed up at Godric's hollow that night, he was met by a stag and a man who was buzzing with magic.

One green light flashed that night.

And Sirius struck him down, not with hate, but with love. Love for James, love for Lily and love for Harry. His godson.

Shortly after Sirius was tried and acquitted, a different Black's name was headlining the Daily Prophet. Regulus Black.

After Voldemort fell, the majority of his followers were tried and sentenced to fair time in Azkaban. Regulus Black, however, could not be found. Sirius assumed the worst and mourned him.

Until he resurfaced. And he was willing to exchange information to avoid jail time. "Horcruxes." He explained.

Remus and Sirius set out to finish what Regulus had started, and by the time Harry received his Hogwarts letter, they were confident that Voldemort was in fact defeated.

So maybe, a little love can go a long way.

———
The End.

ps... there are some more updates after this chapter! They're not chronological and some of them are hypothetical 'what if' chapters :).

Wow. Thank you again for reading along on this journey of mine(ours). Writing this quite literally saved me and your support will mean more to be than I could ever express. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, this story feels complete, but there is a 150+ page google doc somewhere that has alternate endings and scenarios. I wrote most of them at a much darker time and as I revisited them, I realized that I didn't really want this story to have that tone. However, I may upload some "what if" chapters someday. Who knows.

Thank you again, and happy holidays if you celebrate around this time.

I hope if any of you are struggling, you find better days. I know how tiring it can be. I may not know you, but I'm rooting for you and my inbox is always open.

I'm hoping for each of you to find contentment and fulfillment in whatever you desire.

Lots of love,
Emma

ps these last few chapters each took a few pots of coffee each. Here's a peak at my writing station :)

 Here's a peak at my writing station :)