Canines After Dark

See the image and description at the bottom if you're curious about my imagination of how Remus and Sirius look as wolf and dog, respectively.

Sirius learned two things immediately after he saw Madam Pomfrey make her way back into the castle. 1) as a dog, his strides were much greater than as a human 2) time moves no differently as an animal than it does as a human.

He was about half way into the forbidden forest when he heard Remus for the first time. All of his hackles stood erect on his back. He mimicked Remus' howl once and sat back on his haunches to wait.

He could smell Remus before he saw or heard him again. He rose and began pacing in the small clearing he was occupying.

When he heard Remus enter the clearing, he turned towards him and instinctively bared his teeth at the wolf standing before him.

Remus' ears flattened but his hackles rose also, a defiant act in the eyes of Sirius. Sirius snapped his jaws twice as a warning.

Remus lowered his head a shook it before he began to circle towards Sirius.

Sirius mirrored Remus' strides and maintained a fierce eye contact as they maneuvered opposite one another. Remus had yet to make a sound. Sirius on the other hand was projecting a low growl that he could feel in his chest.

Suddenly, Remus stopped and titled his head up and away, the first act of submission: exposing one's neck.

Sirius recognized that for what it was and approached Remus cautiously before sniffing up and down Remus' throat column. Remus growled at the action before Sirius knocked the top of his head into Remus' jaw, which effectively quieted him.

Sirius backed away before demonstrating what his instincts knew as the next act. Remus would have to crouch on all fours and allow Sirius to place his jaws around the vertebrae in his neck. And for the third act, Remus would have to roll over on to his back while Sirius still stood above him.

Sirius rose from his demonstration and watched Remus.

‼️ not animal smut lol (didn't realize I should have clarified) ‼️

The two canines maintained eye contact as Remus slowly lowered himself to the grass. Without breaking their shared gaze, Sirius circled around Remus until he was right next to him. As Sirius lifted a leg to place on the other side of Remus, Remus turned his head and snapped at Sirius. Sirius immediately growled in response and nipped at Remus' ear. Remus stopped protesting and allowed Sirius to straddle over his head.

Sirius knew what to do next, but he found himself hesitating. He knew, that in any other circumstance, Remus would be dominant. And he felt guilty taking that away. But in this situation, they didn't have much of a choice.

So he tenderly set his jaws around Remus' neck. The wolf below him whimpered, and Sirius knew that he had done it. At this point the final step was a formality. Sirius was officially the alpha.

After Sirius removed his jaws, Remus rolled on to his back, officially completing the act of dominance.

Sirius was relieved, but also deeply saddened as he allowed Remus to stand.

However, when Remus nuzzled up to his neck and yipped like a puppy, Sirius also felt undeniably happy. And his worries were left behind as he and Remus spent their first moon exploring the forest.

This image from the Harry Potter Wiki is how I picture the boys on a full moon, just so you get a sense of what I was thinking as I wrote Sirius and Remus in this chapter.