Happy Birthday

"Hmm seventeen."

"Yeah, seventeen. But does it really matter that much?"

Remus sighed, he always found Sirius to be brutally honest in the morning and apparently this morning would be no exception. Sirius was currently curled around Remus, in Remus' bed. It was dangerous given Remus' tendency to become irritated quickly as of late, but it was Sirius' birthday and he want to be able to give Sirius anything he asked for. Sirius deserved the world.

"I mean, the least Minnie could do is give me a little extra time on the Transfiguration parchment. Due on my birthday! The audacity."

Remus chuckled, "drama queen."

Sirius looked up at Remus, for the first time since he crawled into his bed this morning, and grinned. Remus was his- completely and utterly his. "Can I please have a kiss for my birthday?"

Remus smiled too and then complied with Sirius' birthday wish, even though he had another gift planned for later.

---

"Happy birthday!"

As soon as Sirius set foot in the common room, James was pulling him in for a bone crushing hug. Sirius was chuckling as James finally released him, "thanks mate, but really it's nothing."

James frowned slightly. "Well, okay."

Sirius awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh, um I have something for you!" James sprinted over to the mantle above the fireplace and pulled down an envelope "Came from mum and dad the other day."

Sirius was touched by the thoughtfulness. He didn't expect anything for his birthday. "I'll open it later, yeah?"

James nodded before Sirius turned to stash the letter upstairs.

Back in the dorm, he found Remus- hair wet and towel hanging off his hips- riffling through his own truck.

"Remus?"

"Have you seen my tie?"

Sirius didn't answer- he couldn't.

"Sirius?" Remus asked softly and he spun around to look at his boyfriend. As soon as he realized why Sirius was pretty much frozen, Remus cracked a sly grin. "We have a bit of time if we skip breakfast."

Sirius swallowed thickly. "I um- I don't want to do- that."

Remus smiled softly at him, "me neither- not yet."

Sirius nodded but continued to stare.

"There might be a couple of other things, though."

Sirius knew that Remus knew exactly what he was doing- the mischievous twat.

"I'm sure the shower will warm right back up," he walked towards Sirius as he said this, fully aware that Sirius was speechless now because of him. He liked the power.

Remus ghosted his lips over Sirius'- softly enough that Sirius could have only imagined it. The physical affection they shared was developed through years of friendship, but physical intimacy was something they hadn't explored in full yet. They didn't have many opportune times for such activities.

Remus nuzzled into the crook of Sirius' neck.

"Oh-okay," Sirius stammered out. "Yeah, please."

Remus looked fondly at him. 

"Like erm, right now."

---

Sirius insisted that if Remus couldn't find his tie, he should at least leave the top couple of buttons of his shirt undone.

"So, that's why you weren't at breakfast." Marlene stated as Sirius sat down next to her for transfiguration.

Sirius' face was redder than a tomato. "Er-"

"Nice work."

Marlene, and pretty much everyone else watched Remus and Sirius walk into class late. On top of interrupting the quiet reading time, they had to walk to the front of the room to hand in their essays. It wasn't hard to put two and two together when Remus turned around and a faint edge of hickey poked out from under his collar.

"Thanks," Sirius finally managed to say.

---

When Sirius sat down for lunch, the owl post he missed that morning was delivered to him. Much to his dismay there was a letter. The return address was the Ministry's Office of Registry.

S. Black

This is your official notice of release of family lineage. You should consider yourself exempt from all forms of inheritance.

The requestor also wishes to announce that you are removed from the family tree of The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black.

Please contact our office should questions arise.

"What is it?" James asked when he noticed the drawn look on Sirius' face. 

"I-I think my par- Walburga and Orion made it official. I'm out!"

"What?" James asked.

Sirius shoved the letter at him.

"Yeah mate, I think you are."

---

"James, I'm going to go and open that letter, would you like to come"

"Coming!"

The two best friends made their way up to the deserted dormitories. "I really wasn't expecting anything, this is so exciting."

Sirius quickly undid the seal on the envelope.

Sirius-

Happiest birthday to out son's greatest friend. We hope to not overstep, but we would like to offer you a place in our family. You've been nothing but as good as a brother to James and you are welcome here, always.

Much love,

E & F Potter

Also, please find the enclosed gift.

Sirius looked in the now empty- or so he thought- envelope. In the bottom there were a pair of silver cuff links. He took them out to examine them one had an engraved S the other a P. "Thank you James," tears were welling in his eyes. "Thank you so much." He hauled James in for a hug.

"Sorry I didn't tell you earlier, mom works in The Office of Registry. She knew that the request was put in."

Sirius pulled away and sniffled, "no, don't be sorry. This is great."

James smiled.

"You're the best friend, you know that?"

"Thanks, Sirius."

"I love you- man."

James chuckled, "I love you too."

Hey all you cool cats and kittens. I hope everyone is following all health guidelines to the best of their abilities. To keep my sane, I have been doing a bit of writing and decided that this story should be published!

Stay safe and stay sane. Also -a n g s t- to come in the next chapter.