September 5-17

Remus woke with a start the next morning; it was Sirius.

"Go to bed, Moony." He instructed without a hit of teasing in his voice.

Remus rubbed his face and looked around. He'd fallen asleep in the common room, and by the looks of it, it was still dark outside. "What time is it?"

"Don't know," Sirius kept walking towards the portrait hole.

"Where are you going?"

"Anywhere but here," Sirius replied gruffly and left the common room.

After Sirius left, Remus looked at his watch: 3:14 am. Why was Sirius up? Where was he going? Remus did care about the answer to these questions, but he figured that Sirius wanted to be alone, so he made his way to his four poster bed and fell asleep almost instantly.

***

It was around 7:30 when Remus woke later that morning. James and Peter were still sleeping in their beds, but Sirius' bed was empty.

After struggling to find a sweater in the dimly lit room, Remus made his way to the common room to find Sirius and make sure he made it back this morning.

But Sirius wasn't in the common room, hardly anyone was, actually.

Normally, Remus wouldn't have been so worried; Sirius was his own person who was capable of making his own decisions, but Remus could tell that Sirius was spiraling, as he often did after spending an extended amount of time at 12 Grimmauld Place. But Remus had a feeling that Walburga and Orion broke Sirius this time. No matter how brave of a face Sirius put on, Remus could tell that he was hurting.

A handful of people were scattered around the common room. Remus quickly picked Lily out, she was sitting by the window with her nose tucked in a book, but she quickly snapped it shut and tucked it away when she heard Remus approaching.

"Morning Lil. What are you reading?"

The red headed girl calmly replied, "just working on that essay for Professor Binns."

Remus nodded, he didn't fully believe her, but he knew she'd tell him if it pertained to him. "Have you seen Sirius this morning?"

Lily shook her head, "why?"

Remus sighed, "he- he just. I'm not really sure. What Bertram said yesterday-"

"Really hurt him. I know." Remus and Lily were both nodding now, "James told me he wouldn't talk to anyone."

Remus averted his eyes, "He talked to me last night, twice actually."

"Go on." Lily sat up straighter, as to encourage Remus to continue.

"Well first, he spoke in just a really strange way. He said how he'd just have to get over himself if Bertram was going to be around." Remus paused so Lily would have the opportunity to add her two cents, when she didn't speak up, Remus continued, "and he left in the middle of the night. I figured he'd be back this morning, but I can't find him."

Lily was analyzing as Remus spoke to her. "I'm sure you're reading too far into the lot of it," she said in an attempt to ease Remus' worries. "He'll turn up."

Remus nodded, but the look of worry was not erased from his face. "Marlene didn't leave last night, did she?"

Lily became fiercely protective of her friend, "are you insinuating that she snuck out with Sirius? You're mad if you think she's that kind of girl."

He didn't intend to offend anyone with his question, Remus was just hoping he was with Marlene because then at least he'd be missing with a someone with a good head on their shoulders.