October 15

The second full moon of the term happened to fall on a Wednesday, which meant that Remus had to do his best to sit through and pay attention in class when in reality his head was pounding and his limbs felt too heaving to carry. He hadn't eaten anything yesterday or the day before, and he wasn't planning on trying to stomach anything today. He was just looking forward to getting the whole thing over with.

Sirius did good on his word and had been avoiding Remus the best he could, but he knew today would be the hardest yet. On top of worrying about Remus, Sirius was also nervous to begin the process of becoming an Animagus. Peter had decided not to partake in the process, but he was actually playing an instrumental role. He was the one keeping them on track, reminding them to steal the supplies and prepare for tonight; he very much enjoyed being given a task.

Normally, Remus would look forward to Muggle Studies because it came relatively easily to him, so he was able to sit back and try to relax. This task was harder today than it had been all year. Remus was trying as hard as he could, and ultimately failing at, ignoring a beautiful dark haired Hufflepuff girl who was giving Sirius the most irritating look. Her eyes were fixed on Sirius, they were unwavering even when her friends were talking to her, and the lustful look in her eyes nearly made Remus sick.

Remus noticed James nudge Sirius and point this girl out. Sirius gave her a half smile and a wave. This action made Remus actually sick, and he excused himself without asking permission and without giving Sirius another look.

Remus heard the door open and shut, then he heard Lily whisper a spell to lock the door.

"Rem," she called as she walked into the tiled room.

"Lily, this is the men's room."

"Really Remus?" She sounded tired. "You think I wouldn't come just because it's the men's room?"

"Could have sent James," Remus reminded her.

"Remus," she found him now, leaning against the side of a stall, "he's practically holding Sirius down so he didn't come in here and-"

Remus grunted.

"What's going on Remus, honestly?"

He raised a hand and lolled his head to the side as if to say 'don't ask.'

Lily glared at him.

After a brief staring match, Remus conceded and got to his feet and Lily followed him to the library.

Madam Prince gave the pair a warning glance as if to say 'you two should be in class'. But the librarian also knew what day it was and knew of Remus' condition, and was willing to make an exception here and there for one of her favorite students.

Remus knew exactly where he was going. He marched straight to the Magical Creatures and Beasts section and pulled out 'Werewolves: The Burden of the Beast', skimmed the index, and flipped to chapter 7 'Werewolf Impulses'.

He read silently to himself for a minute and Lily waited patiently because she knew how much Remus disliked when people read over his shoulder.

When Remus found what he was looking for, he handed the book to Lily and pointed out the paragraph that matched his symptoms: Companionship.

Lily's eyes widened as she read the text. "Oh, Remus," she said softly, "how long?"

Remus chuckled dryly, "all year."

"T-the volatility, violent urges and irritability all year?"

"It kind of goes away right after a transformation and comes and goes through out the month, but ugh, yeah."