September 18th & 19th

September 18th

Lily and James fell asleep on the couch they were sharing at around 2:30 am; at that point the most painful part of Remus' transformation was over, and his howls were no longer piercing the castle. Peter fell asleep before them, most likely due to crashing after his sugar high. But Sirius didn't sleep, even after Remus couldn't be heard, Sirius couldn't convince himself to sleep, because every time he closed his eyes, and he didn't hear Remus, his twisted mind automatically drifted to the worst possible possibility.

At 6 that morning, the four Gryffindors were already waiting outside the hospital wing, waiting for Madam Pomfrey to let them see their friend.

The heavy door creaked open and the small woman stepped out carrying a solemn look on her face. "I am sorry children," she spoke kindly, "he's not ready for visitors yet."

"Did he tell you that?" Sirius asked gruffly. He needed to see Remus as soon as possible.

"Mister Black,' Madam Pomfrey spoke in a warning tone, "I will send for you if I see fit that you can visit your friend today."

The edge to the small woman's voice made Sirius back down immediately; partially because it was beginning to remind him of his mother, but mostly because he knew that Madam Pomfrey had the most say in allowing himself, James, Lily and Peter to see Remus.

"Thank you." Lily said politely.

"We're not going to Hogsmeade today, so find us as soon-"

"I will Mister Potter, thank you for the update." Madam Pomfrey cut him off and briskly retreated back through the now closed door.

The four friends hastily made their way back to the still quiet common room.

"We should go to breakfast," Lily suggested when the room starting filling up with students. By the look on Sirius' face, Lily knew that he was not appreciating all the commotion.

Everyone agreed for the sheer fact that it gave them something to do.

***

"What do you think happened? I mean I can't remember the last time we didn't get to see him right away." Peter piped up after sitting in silence for so long made him uncomfortable.

"Dunno," James mused sadly, "but I hate waiting."

"Maybe he just broke a couple bones, or tore a ligament or something," Peter said, proud of himself for using such anatomically correct words, even though he only knew them because of the book he read for Transfiguration last week.

"Or maybe he's just got a few nasty claw marks." James added.

Then Lily spoke up, "he'll be fine guys, he always is," again, she was very intuitive to Sirius' actions, and she attributed the scowl on his face to be from his friend's guessing game.

All three boys nodded, then Peter added, "It could be-"

"For Merlin's sake, please stop with the guessing." Sirius said quietly but coldly, and Peter shut up and silence fell back over the four friends, it seemed as though even the Great Hall was reduced to just a faint hum.

Sirius pushed the eggs around on his plate, he already felt a bit nauseous and was certain that if he tried to eat, he'd throw all of it up. The four of them were about half way through going through the motions of eating breakfast when Madam Pomfrey's aide approached them.

"Lily Evans?" the girl asked timidly.

"Yes." Lily replied. Everyone else was holding their breath.