Chapter Thirty-Eight: Tea or Coffee

It took me a full minute to register the fact that my father was standing in front of me with those pitiful eyes and a permanent frown etched on his face.

And it took me less than a second to close the door in front of his face.

You're two months late, my dear father.

"Who was that?" Axel questioned, emerging from the living room.

Shaking my head, I started to push him away from the door, "Just those door to door salesmen."

"At this hour?" he asked, looking at his wristwatch.

When the doorbell rung once again, I groaned under my breath. Everything was finally falling into place, the situation was finally being lifted up; I even told myself that I'll just enjoy this date night with Axel.

Another doorbell. Oh for goddamn sake!

Apparently, Adam also had enough of the constant ringing as we saw him go down the stairs, "The door's just there."

Do you think I'm not aware of that, Captain Obvious?

He moved past us and before I even had the chance to stop him, he opened it again and froze at the same sight that greeted me when I swung the door open earlier.

"Ooh," Axel drawled out in realization.

We looked absolutely ridiculous. Adam was staring in disbelief as he held onto the doorknob as I had one hand on Axel's back and the other was paused midair to stop Adam. My dad? Well, he just look like a deer caught in the headlights.

Could this situation be anymore awkward?

And as if the heavens wanted to prove me wrong, a car stop right in front of my house and out came my mother who was holding a ceramic casserole dish.

This cannot be happening!

She stopped once she saw her ex-husband and I was sure she was going to drop what she was holding, but instead, she gaped at the sight.

"Anyone up for tea or coffee?" Adam coughed out, just to get us all of this horrible position.

Even with the heels I had on, I breezed inside my house, ignoring their calls for me. I rushed up the stairs and straight into my room, locking the door to make sure nobody would bother me.

I was running away again.

In the midst of getting rid of my shock due to my father, I was already mentally preparing myself for a deep conversation between him and I. I could have handled it smoothly if it weren't for the sudden visit courtesy of my mother.

If only they knew how hard I worked to make sure they didn't meet after the accident that happened inside mom's house.

They both had their already broken hearts shattered on that day.

It was the initial reason why I told mom that it was alright even if she didn't attend my concert back then, it was because there was this slim chance that they may run into each other.

It came crumbling down this day.

I was ready for them to bombard me with questions. At first, I thought that it was going to be Adam who will be the first one to knock on my door, or maybe it would be mom so she could comfort me.

Imagine my surprise when I heard Axel's voice accompanied with a few taps on the wood of my door, "Valentine?"

I didn't respond as I only hugged my pillow tighter. Another knock came and also another call, "Open up."