Chapter Twenty-Four: Family

“This is all your fault!”

Groaning as I heard the muffled yell, I slowly started to crack my eyes open, the sight of Adam’s worried face greeted me instantly.

A hand flew up to cup my head, massaging it slowly, “What happened?”

“You fainted,” he answered simply, “It snapped both of your parents out of their argument for a while.”

“Get out of my house!” came my mother’s shrill voice before I heard dad reply something, a little lower but we could still hear it, even with the door shut close.

“They’ve been at it for a good half an hour now,” my best friend sighed, standing up from his chair next to my mother’s bed, “They just helped in laying you down before they started another fight on whose fault it is that you fainted.”

Sighing, I stretched my arms up, a gesture that I wanted to sit up. Adam grabbed my hands before slowly pulling me up, piling the pillows behind me to make a backrest for me.

Leaning back, I stared at the closed door, hearing my parents yell at each other with harsh comebacks and insults.

“Want something to drink,” he asked, reaching out to feel my forehead, “You’ve got all of us worried about you.”

“How long was I out?” hugging my legs closer to my chest, I rested my head on my knees, “My head still kind of hurt.”

“The same time they’ve been arguing,” he tried to chuckle lightheartedly, but my frown was a clear indication I was in no mood.

The door swung open to reveal both of my parents, they were both red in anger but when they caught the sight of me, they raced to the bed, shoving each other away in the process.

Honestly, they’re acting like kids right now, and I thought I was immature.

With a kick on my father’s shin, my mother successfully reached me first. She sat down on her bed, clutching my hand, stroking my hair gently, “You alright, Sophia?”

My mouth clamped shut, staring at her with a puzzled expression. My gaze switched to my father who was pushing himself up after my mom’s attack.

How can I be alright when I just witnessed my two divorced parents kiss like nothing has happened between them?

I’ll tell you something, it’s impossible.

Mom scrunched up her eyebrows when I didn’t reply, squeezing my hand tighter, her face morphing into concern.

I’m in no mood to talk to them after everything that just happened. I’m pinpointing at both of them, none of the two is innocent, they both contributed to this mess.

“I’ll see you two soon,” I finally let out, pushing myself to my feet. Adam raced to my side, helping me stand, testing if I was going to fall any time soon. Looking at him, I frowned, “Let’s go home.”

“Sophia, wait,” my dad stopped the both of us by standing in front of the doorway, “All of us need to talk as a family.”

I don’t know why, but I suddenly felt furious, glaring at him, I opened my mouth to say something I was surely going to regret, “We’re not a family anymore.”

Adam flinched beside me and I could imagine what my parents felt when I spat that out. Think about it, your only daughter was so resentful about the current situation of the thing you’re supposed to call your family.

It hurts, but it’s the truth. We’re not a family, we’re three people stuck in our own worlds. A family is something that showers every member with love and support. Yes, we’re related by blood, and my parents were still bounded by a marriage contract years ago, but it’s no longer the same.