Chapter Twenty-Six: Tragic Fairytale

The hotel was a buzz, probably because people were finally squeezing out the remaining weeks of summer in order to have a last chance to get a vacation. We glided through the lobby and into the elevator without grabbing too much attention.

“How did you even get Kate’s laptop?” I questioned Adam when we got off the floor where my father’s room is located.

“I borrowed it and told her I broke the keyboard,” he shrugged as it was the simplest thing to do, “She believed me, yet she did seem hesitant to give it to me.”

“Wonder why,” I snorted, sarcasm dripping in my voice as I lifted a hand to press the little button by the door, acting like a doorbell to them.

My father gave a small greeting when he opened the door, but instead of actually feeling angry at him, my annoyance was directed to the girl sitting by the bed, nervously chewing her bottom lip, thinking of the worst case scenario.

The thing here is, I won’t be telling her that I knew all of her secrets, I’ll pretend I had no knowledge whatsoever of the things she had searched in her laptop.

Adam took out her precious device from his sling bag and handed it to her, giving Kate an innocent smile, “Told you it would be a quick repair.”

She blinked for a second and maybe she bought our little act, her lips slowly lifted into an appreciative smile, but now, I could see through her façade, “Thank you so much, I was so worried.”

Worried of getting caught, I presume?

 “It was a good thing Adam was able to give it back to you,” I said, it took every will power to make my voice leveled, instead of bitter like I was feeling, “I mean, that laptop must hold a lot of important files.”

She narrowed her eyes suspiciously, but we’re talking about the girl who spent her teenage years in Hollywood, learning the tricks into giving the perfect act. I plastered a sweet grin, clasping my hands behind my bag as I casually swayed from side to side.

“It really does,” she nodded, hugging it closer to her chest.

MY father switched his gaze from me to his fiancé, probably feeling up the growing tension. I was standing here and I could almost cut it with a knife.

“So I have a lot of errands to take care of,” I spoke, slowly retreating to the door with Adam right behind me, “I just accompanied Adam to make sure that’s returned to you.”

She nodded, saying words of appreciation as my best friend and I got out of the room. We shared a look, before smirking at each other, walking to the elevators where we know that we have done phase one of our devious plan.

“Do you think she suspects anything?” Adam asked as he strapped on his seatbelt, “I mean, she was acting a bit weird.”

“She’s nervous,” I concluded, sticking in the keys to the ignition, “She’s worried if whether or not we found out about the things she’s been doing.”

Unluckily for her, we did. I’ve reserved this day for a seven letter word that will make her go crying back to England – revenge.

“First stop,” I grinned, backing into the streets, “Forever and Always Bridal.”

We were instantly greeted by the workers inside the shop, but today, I’m a girl on a mission. We have to delay the catering, cancel the venue, and most importantly, put a rain check on the bride’s plans.

“Are you sure about this, Miss Valentine?” the staff in front of us asked. Macy was out of town, attending to another wedding she was assigned to, but with the lack of knowledge with the girl in front of us, this would be a lot easier than I thought.