In And Out

Zatanna stood on the balcony of a building, staring out at the night-sky of Gotham.

It was depressing. Smoke seemed to rise up from buildings all across the city, clouding the sky. The lights from buildings almost made it seem like a guiding light in the fog, only if you followed it you'd probably die.

'That's the state this city's in, it's just sad' Staring at the sight for a few moments, she looked with a defeated look on his face.

'Fuuuuuuck, why am I even here!?' She groaned, her head dropping.

Using one of her gloved hands, she created a small circular ball that gleamed yellow to distract herself.

'Constantine told me to investigate Y/N, but now I can't even do my job since Bruce is denying me going within vicinity of him. Seriously, I'm a bird trapped in a cage I willingly flew into. That's not a trick, it's just being stupid. Not fit for a magician at all'

'A trick?' Halfheartedly chuckling, Zatanna's expression turned slightly serious.

'But, that wasn't a trick. That was no trick at all' The image of a black liquid leaking out of her nose, and the feeling of overwhelming nothingness that followed came to mind.

'That was something else. Something beyond magic. Teleportation spells are instantaneous as they are rare when activated. I had Virgil but when I tried to grasp Y/N afterwards, it felt like I was grasping at nothing and everything. Something I simply wasn't allowed to touch. Why?'

Zatanna allowed the little ball of light to move around and in between her fingers.

'I need to know. Finding what lies beyond what we see and feel, manipulating it and using it, that's what being a magician is. Now it's not just for Constantine, it's for me as well'

"So it'd be nice to get back out on the field!" She exclaimed to no one in particular, letting out a sad sigh.

Zatanna.

A voice gently whispered into her ear, and at that her body straightened and her eyes widened.

'Constantine?'

Wind gently blew in, causing her hair to slightly flutter in response.

Inaudible whispers came from the breeze around her, and her expression turned into one of shock.

They continued, with the wind whipping up and down or changing to a mellow and calm stir of air at times. It continued on for a while, until eventually, it vanished.

It was silent for a few seconds after that, until an extremely worried and concerned expression crossed Zatanna's face.

"Fuck" She lightly muttered.

Staring for a moment at the city in front of her, the magician didn't waste any more time and simply dived off the building she was on.

"Wols!" She yelled out, and her body slowed down so that she dropped to the ground without any harm.

Then, she went off into the alleys of Gotham.

The sky overhead was littered with absolutely zero stars, the only source of light being the moon and the odd streetlight.

Doctor Hugo Strange stood at the entrance to the bridge between the Black Zone and Green Zone.

Accompanying him were two figures, each with a featureless grey mask that gave nothing away to their expressions and faces, as well as a professional suit to match. Each one stood on either side of the doctor. It was, of course, both you and Static.