Safe Place

You awoke with your body broken, and your mind fresher than ever.

In all honesty you were unsure of what happened. You only remembered that your body gave out just a few seconds after you leaned against Hugo.

For the first time since arriving in DC, your unconsciousness wasn't plagued by your mind's manifestation of, in your opinion, the devil. Instead, despite your body being in a beyond critical state, it was sincerely the best sleep you'd had in over a year.

That, however, did not help the agony that filled you when you woke up, the pain of your uncountable injuries each making themselves clear.

For the split second you were conscious you recognized the white of the Asylum hospital rooms, along with the feeling of numerous needles in you in the form of I.V.s that were probably the reason you were able to wake up at all. That, and the blood bags connected to some of them.

A fountain of curses left you as you laid back down in the bed, not knowing where to hold since it was everything that was hurting.

"You too?"

The familiar voice of Static reached you somewhere off to your left, and you quickly turned your head with a relieved smile.

"What do you mean you too, was I not suffering life-ending injuries too or did I miss that part?"

"At least you're okay" Static sarcastically spoke with a bit of a chuckle, taking in your rather rude response as a sign that you weren't too out of it.

"Okay is a bit of a stretch, I feel like I'm disheveling"
"I don't think that's a phrase"
"I've been awake ten seconds and I already feel the urge to gut something" Threateningly, you spoke in a low tone that made Static look the other way, a bit of sweat running down his forehead.

"Oh, at least you're in a stable condition L/N" A new voice interjected, and you looked to the room's entrance to find Hugo standing there, his metallic hand gripping a tray.

"You guys make it seem like I'm always this aggressive"

Both Hugo and Static looked at you in disbelief, while you stared back at them with squinted eyes.

"Is that really how you guys view me?"
"The first time I met you you tricked me into thinking I was sacrificing myself to stop a bomb. So yeah, that's how I view you"

Opening your mouth to object Static's comment, you realized there was no fault in his logic and promptly shut it.

As Hugo walked into the room and placed the tray on a nearby cart, you stared up at the white ceiling, taking everything in.

"I didn't dream that right?"

Despite the vagueness of the question, both of the others in the room knew what you were referring to.

"No L/N, it wasn't a dream"

At his words you felt it all rushing back. Every moment from entering Freeze's factory to that split moment of pure instinct your body kicked into, which resulting in slicing off the Lord's hand. Then, sitting in a crater while leaning against Hugo.

You knew what had happened, but all of it rushing back towards you like this after getting confirmation that it was real just made it more surreal than it was before.

Although most would find it strange, you couldn't help yourself and laugh. It lasted a few seconds, and your gaze remained on the ceiling the entire time, but it was a genuine one.

"It's possible"

You looked at Hugo and then to Static. "We can actually do this"

"Are you telling me you lacked the faith to complete our suicide mission beforehand?" Raising an eyebrow, the doctor of you three questioned in an amused voice.