08 - Lunch and Ink

"Dialogue"

{Scroll}

My training with Pyrrha wasn't as productive as with Port; after all, I accumulated almost 11 hours of continuous mental stress and had a headache due to exhaustion.

In the end, she only managed to teach me how to hold the shield correctly and not as if it were an 'umbrella without a handle.' This had to be the first time Pyrrha made a joke with me.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were less extreme days.

In the morning, before classes, I would meet with Port using my speeder bike, so I could already practice a bit with it. We did 2 hours of intense training, which was brutal and, according to the professor, harmful to the body if you weren't an Aura user, as Aura could heal muscle strains and bone fractures instantly with his Semblance's help.

After the physical training, it was time for classes. On Wednesday, I was publicly beaten for the first time by Cardin Winchester because, of course, it had to be him.

In the afternoon, I studied with my team, followed by more Aura training with Glynda or combat training with Pyrrha if it was Tuesday or Thursday.

Nora applauded my effort to stop being a 'featherweight weakling chicken'... in her case, I was already expecting the jokes and nicknames.

On Saturday, my team was hoping for me to take it easy, but I scheduled a supervised combat training session with Professor Port. Pyrrha was an excellent fighter, but she didn't have a background as a teacher. Practicing the basics that Pyrrha taught me under the supervision of the veteran professor was to make sure I wasn't developing any wrong habits from the Mistral champion.

Before the training, I thought Port was going to beat me up and rub my face on the ground. Make me pay for all the curses of the week, but he stayed on the defensive, waiting for my attacks and correcting my posture.

As soon as it was 11:00, Port interrupted the training.

"I think you've done enough for today, my young man."

"For today?"

"Because this week you've worked out, studied, trained Aura with Glynda, and had combat training with Miss Nikos."

"But I'm still the weakest in the school, damn it! I'm weaker than a senior in a prep school."

"Yes, absolutely."

...

"I thought you were going to motivate me to train less."

"Mr. Arc..." He sighed tiredly. "May I be honest with you, Jaune?"

Huh? The first time he called me by my first name; usually, he calls me Mr. Arc, young man, or something like that.

"You are undoubtedly the weakest student in our school."

Ouch!

"But in this first week, you have already proven to be one of the best in terms of effort."

"Seriously?" I replied incredulously.

Who would have thought? I'm the Rock Lee of the RWBY universe.

"Do you know how many students, besides you, have trained with me for a whole week?"

"This year or last year?"

"Just 1, Jaune, since I started teaching at Beacon."

"Only 1? Why? Who is this guy?"

"This guy was a lady, Jaune, Raven Branwen."

"Yang's mother?"

The professor raised an arched eyebrow, studying me closely.