25 - EAT DEMOCRACY

Avip: Just stopping by to let you know that you can see Audra's full photo on my X(twitter), AvipBr. Since not all Fic platforms allow her image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Weiss Schnee]

I faced the CTT terminal with a mixture of apprehension and anticipation. The call with Winter was about to begin, and my heart was pounding in my chest. Although I didn't fear my older sister like I feared my father, I still deeply cared about her opinion.

I took a deep breath and tapped the call initiation button. The screen lit up, and Winter's face, as stern as ever, appeared.

"Weiss," she says with her firm voice. "It's good to see you."

"Winter," I reply, trying to keep my voice steady. "It's good to see you too, sister."

We talked for a few minutes about trivial things like the weather in Atlas, Winter's latest mission as a specialist, and how my academic life had been. But I knew there was something more she wanted to say.

Finally, Winter sighed and got straight to the point.

"Weiss, I need to tell you something important," she says, her voice serious and tense. "General Ironwood wants to talk to Jaune Arc personally when he goes to Vale, during the Vytal Festival."

"The general?" I ask, surprised. "What does he want with Jaune?"

"The general didn't give me details," Winter replies. "But from the rumors circulating in the labs, I believe it's related to what some scientists in Atlas believe that young Arc is wasting his talents. They think he should abandon his career as a Huntsman and dedicate himself to science, where his genius could be better utilized."

I frowned, irritated by the statement that reminded me of my father discouraging me from being a Huntress.

"That's ridiculous! Jaune is an excellent Huntsman-."

Winter raises her hand, silencing me.

"Weiss, you know better than anyone that I don't engage in this kind of conversation," Winter replies, looking thoughtful. "But I would like to ask something. What is your relationship with this boy?"

"Business partners," I reply without hesitation. "Why do you ask?"

Winter blushes and instead of answering, she averted her gaze from the camera.

"You misunderstood," I say embarrassed. "We're not together-together."

After a few seconds of analyzing me, Winter seemed satisfied and continued the conversation.

"Regarding Mr. Arc's competence in combat, it wouldn't be right for me to judge him without even having met him personally," Winter says in a neutral tone. "But I find it unlikely that he's as exceptional a Huntsman as his inventions. That's why I recommend he at least consider being a full-time scientist."

"That's outrageous!" I exclaim in a furious and indignant tone. "Jaune is not an object to be used by anyone! He is entitled to choose his own destiny."

"I understand," Winter says again, her voice still tense. "But it's important that Jaune be aware of Ironwood's interest."

"I'll let him know," I reply curtly. "About what Ironwood wants and what these scientists are gossiping about."

"One more thing," Winter adds in a mocking tone. "If you can, keep your business partner away from unnecessary risks, at least until the General talks to him."

"Don't be dramatic, Winter," I comment, smiling without any concern. "He's not some kind of lunatic that risks his life like that."

[ORIGINAL POV]