14 - Lawgiver

Avip: I don't usually give warnings before a chapter, but...

This chapter contains a lot of business jargon, and I don't know a fucking thing about this subject.

I just wanted to give you a heads up, and now let's get into the chapter.

__________________________________

"Dialogue"

{Scroll}

[Ruby Rose]

Last week, Jaune had a meeting with Weiss.

I know they said it was just a business meeting, but a strange voice kept whispering in my mind that it was more than that. I also know it was just insecurity or anxiety... but why?

Why couldn't I be happy with the idea of my best friends being together?

I spent the next few days feeling down, not too serious, but enough for Yang to notice and try to find out the reason. At least she left me alone after a lot of insistence on my part. It got me worried, after all, it's practically a miracle for Yang to respect my privacy.

I spent the whole week a little down, well... at least until Friday afternoon when I received a message on my Scroll.

My eyes lit up with excitement as my heart started beating faster the moment I saw the name of the person who sent the message along with a shirtless photo of him doing squats in a quarry. I don't know who Knightshade is, but I can never thank you enough for sharing this image.

{Jaune Arc:

E aí Ruby, how are you?

Are you free Saturday after lunch? I need to test some new ammunition, and I'd like your help.}

I felt butterflies in my stomach and a warm feeling spread throughout my body. Happiness overflowed, and I couldn't help but feel that something special might happen. I tried to hide my happiness, but the mood change was too significant, and Yang became suspicious of something.

On Saturday, I ate as quickly as I could and ran to the Academy shooting range. Which proved to be a mistake because Jaune was having lunch like a normal person and not like an excited child going to a playground.

Alone, I start to feel at home, after all, there's nothing better than a relaxing afternoon at the shooting range with your best friend.

The strong smell of gunpowder in the air and the loud shots of the other students, almost like miniature thunder. The bullet casings drop on the ground with a metallic and constant sound.

It's a mix of scents and noises that deeply relaxes me.

I took the time alone to reserve a bay at the range and prepare the mannequins that would serve as targets. Jaune explained to me in another message that he wanted to test a new weapon he made using his semblance. I was happy to see a new weapon, but on the other hand, I was sad that he didn't call me to see the process and only let me know by message.

Is he going to test that stinky paint?

"It's disgusting, just thinking about the smell makes me gag." I complained, feeling a nauseating knot in my stomach.

"Hey!" protested a male voice behind me. "Today is Saturday; I took a bath."

"Huh?"

Jaune was there? Behind me, he stood with his arms crossed, looking at me disdainfully.

"I-I didn't say that you smell bad." Despite stammering a bit, I managed to reply.

But before I could breathe a sigh of relief, Jaune gave me a sadistic smile and continued talking.