~16~ Heartbeat

Hi! So when reading this, just pretend that it isn't really crappy. Act like it's a masterpiece. I would like them to be good but it's one chapter per day and I'm already behind by like 6 days. My method will just be write until I can't write anymore and just schedule them to release at a certain time. 

I'm not sure if this is still needed but just in case, SPOILERS FOR NWH 

I would think that everyone knows how it goes, or most people have watched it but maybe some people don't

These aren't going to be spooky I'm sorry

Anyway, 

Enjoy! ❤️❤️❤️

---------------------------------------------

Ever since Peter got his powers, he had been relying on his super hearing to reassure him everyone was alright. 

This habit had started after he heard his Uncle Ben's heartbeat get slower before coming to a full stop. 

Every morning, he would make sure Aunt May's heart was still going. He began to do the same with anyone he got close with. 

Heartbeats were Peters comfort. They were like a blanket, draped over his shoulders as he sat on a couch with a cup of hot chocolate during a cold winter day. 

The sense of security never went away, but he slowly became more obsessed with listening to heartbeats. 

When he was fighting Thanos on Titan with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange and Tony, he had listened to the rest of their heartbeats stop. He had expected Tony's to cease next and that scared him more than anything. 

What he didn't expect was for him to experience his own heartbeat struggle to keep going. 

A quarter of his attention was on his heartbeat, hoping to hear it get stronger again, hoping his healing would be enough to save him. Another quarter was focused on the pain. It was everywhere, all at once. Why was his death going on for so much longer than everyone else's? Their heartbeat stopped quickly, why was his slowing down? 

The last bit of his attention was focused on Tony. Tony knew how to fix everything, but he wouldn't be able to fix this before it happened, there wasn't enough time. All he could do was beg Tony, and try to listen to his words of reassurance. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to slightly ease the fear. 

The moment he accepted that he could no longer fight something that was bound to happen, (it was a canon event 😔) his heartbeat would stop. 

He didn't want Tony's last memory of him to be of him begging to save him. He didn't want Tony to blame himself. But Peter couldn't take the words back. All he could do was apologize. It wasn't going to be enough but that was all he could do with whatever heartbeats he had left. 

"I'm sorry"

When he woke up, he was in a vast orange land. 

He was only there for 5 minutes before darkness took him again. Once he woke he was thrown back into a war. 

This time the roles were reversed for him and Tony. 

This time he had to listen as Tony's heartbeat stop. 

There was a moment of blinding panic before dread settled in. Dread was heavy and felt like stones in his stomach. 

He gave the only reassurance to Tony he could think of. 

"We won, Mr. Stark. We won, Mr. Stark. We won. You did it sir, you did it."