I'll Cover For You

Ashley's P.O.V
I woke up and looked at my alarm clock. Ugh it's only 9:15, I thought. I got up, threw on my blue robe, and walked down the hallway.
"Good morning sweetheart," my father said to me, reading the paper.
"Morning."
I made myself a cup of coffee with extra French vanilla creamer.
"What do you want for breakfast?" mom asked looking through the cabinet.
"Waffles or pancakes," I suggested, putting my messy brown hair in a bun.
"Okay."

I kept looking at my phone while we ate. I kept getting messages from Matt. I haven't "officially" broke up with him yet because I don't even know if he cheated on me or not. I want to believe that he didn't, but I have a gut feeling that he did.
"Who are you talking to that's so important?" Mom asked taking her fork out of her mouth.
"Nobody," I said too quickly. They got suspicious.
"Hmm, doesn't sound like nobody to me, does it Liv?" Dad said smirking.
"No, no it doesn't." She leaned back on her chair and crossed her arms, smiling.
"You guys are so weird," I said shoving a waffle in my mouth to keep from talking. They both laughed at me. My phone made another sound. I dropped my fork and picked up my phone.
Matt: do you want to meet up at the park later?
Me: Ya. I'll let you know when I leave this hell hole.
I looked up and saw my dad with the same grin on his face.
"What? Geez," I said. "I think I left my phone charger at the precinct. Mom, can I go get it after breakfast?" I asked puffing my lip out a little.
"I'll take you. I need to get some papers anyway," she said looking at Dad. There went my idea to get outta here. I rolled my eyes.
"Great, thanks Mom." I said through my teeth.

We walked in the precinct and I was greeted by Nick.
"Hey Ashley! You're looking so much better." He said hugging me.
"Thanks!" I smiled. "I left my phone charger here a couple days ago. Did you see it anywhere?" I asked him.
"Nope. Why don't you go ask Fin while I talk to your mom?"
"K," I knew he wanted me to leave them alone to talk about me.

I walked over to Fin's desk. He was typing something on the computer.
"Hey Fin."
"Here," he handed me my charger.
"How'd you know I needed this?" I asked.
"C'mon. You're a teen. I know how you are. I'm surprised you didn't come sooner," his New York slang never got old. I smiled. My phone made another noise and I looked up at Fin.
"Do whatever you need to do. I'll cover for you, but you better be back in 10 minutes or I'm telling Liv."
"Thanks Fin!" I hugged him and left. He's a softy once you get to know him.

Olivia's P.O.V
"So how's Ashley doing?" Nick asked.
"She's getting there. I need to take her to a therapist."
"Did you tell her that?"
"Yeah. She freaked out. You had to be there. It was unreal, she started screaming and she talked about how Elliot wasn't there to save her. it was awful." I said, a tear escaped and fell down my cheek.
"It'll get better. It's not like this forever."
"I know," I said looking around, "where is Ashley anyway?"
"She went to talk to Fin," Nick said, confused. We walked over to Fin. He looked at the clock.
"Fin, where's my daughter?" I asked.
"She went to talk to Amanda. She said it was important." He said, not making eye contact. I looked at Nick who was trying not to laugh.
"Hmm, that's convenient, since Amanda isn't working today. I can't help but wonder, why are you covering a 14 year old?"
"Okay, she left. I told her to come back in 10 minutes. She'll be here soon. I got dis under control." he said leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms.
"What?!" I yelled at Fin.

Ashley's P.O.V
"Hey!" Matt shouted. He hugged me, "long time no see!" He said kissing my head.
"Hey." I said awkwardly.
"You look nice," he examined my figure. I was wearing yoga pants, a white sweater, and uggs.
"Thanks. this weather is so cold," I shivered.
"C'mon I'll buy you Starbucks."
"We have to hurry. Mom doesn't know I'm here," I warned.
He gave me a white chocolate mocha and he got a vanilla bean.
"So why don't we see a movie this weekend?" He questioned. "Why aren't you coming to school for the rest of the week anyway?" He looked at me suspiciously.
"Umm, I've been sick," I lied. I didn't want to tell him that I cut. The whole school would know.
"You look fine to me."
"I had pink eye and the doctor excused me for the rest of the week."
"Oh," he said. We walked across the street back to the precinct.

When we got there I started walking up the steps.
"So that movie?" He asked again. I turned around with my warm drink in my hand.
"Umm, yeah. Definitely. I'll tell Dad that I'm going with Maya." I said. He walked up to me and kissed me, he cupped my face with his hands making me want to melt. He quickly pulled away.
"What?" I asked confused.
"Hi. I'm Nick. I'm her second father. I take care of her when her dad can't. Don't mind me asking, but what are you?" Nick stood in front of me crossing his arms.
"I'm... um... her boyfriend. I should get going," Matt's face turned tomato red.
"See you Saturday!" I shouted. I looked at Nick, "Really? I could've had one more minute of privacy!" I said.
"I thought you were suffocating with his tongue down you're throat!" He said getting louder.
"I don't think it's your business what I do! You're not my dad!" I screamed walking in the precinct.
"You should be glad he wasn't here to see that young lady!" Nick said following me in the precinct.
"See what?" Mom said.
"Nothing!"
"Nick calm down. What happened?" Mom said placing her hand on his shoulder.
"Did you know that she's sneaking around with a boy?" He said, still red with anger.
"No I didn't. Nick, I got this. Go tell Fin that Ashley's back," Mom said pushing him away. She turned to me, "you're lucky he didn't make physical contact with that boy. Ashley, what were you thinking! Nobody knew where you went! You just told Fin that you left."
"By the way it sounds, I don't think you're gonna let me go anywhere for a while so I guess it doesn't matter." I said calmly.
"No, you're going to Austin's house tomorrow to study." She stated.
"Mom! I hate going there! You can't make me!" I shouted.
"He's your tutor! You need to keep your English and Algebra grade up. End of story!" I wanted to cry, to scream out loud what I was thinking. I wanted to break something to let my anger disappear.

We got home at 3 and I wasn't allowed to leave my room. I looked at myself in my mirror and started crying again. I threw a vase at the mirror. They both shattered. I started to calm down. Mom came running in.
"What the hell Ashley!" She yelled.
"I'm s-sorry. It was an a-accident." I backed against the wall and slid down it.
"No, no Ashley it's okay. I believe you. I'll clean it up." She rubbed my arms up and down.
"Go to bed Ashley. I'll clean this up. I'll wake you up when it's time for dinner."