The Ugly Truth

Ashley's P.O.V

"Wake up Ashley," Mom moved the hair out of my face. I blinked a couple times and looked up at her.
"You have to go to work with me today. Barba needs you to cooperate with him." She rubbed my shoulders. "I know you don't like Barba, but you have to do this...." Mom kept going on and on.
"Okay, Mom. I'm getting dressed."

I got up and went to my closet, and Mom followed me. She went through some clothes and picked out a gray shirt that said 'but first, coffee' and black leggings. It wasn't my outfit of choice, but it didn't really matter.
"I wanted you to be comfortable all day," she explained. I nodded my head. She left my room and I put my clothes on. I went to the bathroom to curl my hair and brush my teeth.
"C'mon Ashley!"
"Coming!" I yelled. I ran out the door with my phone and jumped in the car.

Olivia's P.O.V

We walked inside the precinct and Ashley went to the coffee.
"Ashley, I think you need to cut back on that," I joked. I knew she would never cut back on coffee.
"Please, that's never going to happen." She grabbed her coffee and sat at Nick's desk.
"Hey y'all!" Amanda walked in with files in her hand. "For you," she handed me the pile of papers. I walked in my office and set them on my desk. Amanda closed the door behind her.
"So, is anyone going to be with Ashley and Barba later?"
"I don't know. It depends on what Ashley wants and what Barba will allow." I shrugged my shoulders and looked at her.

Ashley's POV

I sat at Nick's desk and played on my phone. I was so bored.
"Hey, I think you're in my chair." Nick laughed, walking in.
"I'm going to leave soon, so I won't be in your way." I said.
"Really? Where are you going?" Nick looked up at me. He was at Amanda's desk.
"Ashley, come with me." Barba walked in.
"Oh, have fun." Nick laughed.
"Thanks," I said sarcastically.

Olivia's POV

Barba knocked and walked in. Ashley was right behind him.
"I need the files on this case so I can document them." He said. I looked around my desk and gave them to him.
"Let's go," Barba stared at Ashley. She sighed and walked out.
"Maybe it would be better if someone else was with her," I said.
"She needs to know that she can do this without anyone there." He objected.
"Why? Everyone's going to be there during trial. It will prepare her."
"Fine, I'll get Fin." Barba walked out.

Ashley's POV

"Fin, you're with us." Barba said, annoyed.
"Great," he said sarcastically. I laughed and Barba narrowed his eyes at me.

I was sitting at the stand, looking around. Barba was looking at the file and Fin was just walking around, bored.

Barba looked at me like he was studying me.
"Tell the jury what happened when you entered Austin's house." I looked at him and explained everything to him.
"Okay, good. We'll take a break and do this again tomorrow." He took the files and walked out.
"Well that was boring," Fin said. He walked over to me and helped me out of the stand. I still get dizzy from the concussion, so I was glad Fin was there.
"Did I say something wrong? He just left without saying anything," I was so confused.
"He's just like that. He'll get over it." Fin took my hand and drove us back to the precinct.

It was 6pm when we got to the precinct. Fin led me in and we went to Mom's office.
"Hey, how was it?" Mom said, taking her glasses off.
"Boring," we both said in unison.
"Well, let's hope Barba has something positive to say-"
"Liv, a word." Barba barged in. I looked at Fin, who looked at me.
"C'mon Pipsqueak," Fin took me out of the office.
"Hey, long time no see!" Amanda walked over to us, "how was it?" She said.
"Eh, it wasn't that bad." I said. I walked over and made myself coffee. I walked to Amanda's desk and sat down.
"I got donuts!" Nick shouted and lifted the box in the air. Everyone ran over to Nick's desk and grabbed a donut. We all talked and laughed for about 20 minutes.

Barba slammed Mom's office door and walked out of the precinct. Mom walked out with her coat and keys.
"Ashley, lets go." Mom walked to the elevator.
"Good luck with her," Fin said.
"Yeah," I said sarcastically and walked to the elevator.

We got in the car and drove home. it was mostly silent.
"So, what were you and Barba talking about?" I questioned.
"Nothing," she sighed.
"Mom, it was something. He slammed your office door and left."
"Don't worry about it yet."
"What do you mean yet?" I said.
"It's a long story, I want to tell your father about it first."
"Fine."

We walked in the house and I saw Dad on the couch. He was eating popcorn.
"Hey," I said. I sat down beside him and took a handful of popcorn.
"How was it?" He asked.
"I thought it went well but-" I was cut off by Mom.
"El, I need to talk to you." Dad looked at me strange and got up. They went in their room and talked.

Olivia's POV

"El, I need to talk to you." I said. I walked in our room, with him following me.
"What's up?" He sat on the bed and looked at me.
"Barba said that it will be almost impossible to win this case. There really isn't any DNA because he used a condom, the only DNA we have is the DNA on his bed, but he sleeps in that bed so obviously there will be DNA. Since this has been happening for a while, they are just going to say that it was rough sex-"
"How can they even say that? She was beaten and tortured. She still has a concussion! That's why she's not in school-" Elliot was interrupted by Ashley. She opened the door with tears in her eyes.
"I'm not having a trial? I had to tell Barba everything that happened to me, again. He's just going to get away with it again!" She put her hands on her head and started crying. Elliot ran over to her and hugged her.
"It's not your fault, Ashley." he said. He looked at me.
There's nothing we can do about the trial, it's over, I mouthed.
"Ashley, do you want to help me make dinner?" I asked. she nodded her head.
"Okay, let's go. We'll talk about this later," I said.

About an hour later, Ashley called Elliot to dinner. We made spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread.
We all sat down and started eating.
"So, the trial is cancelled. It's not going to happen. The court is making Austin go to community service for 6 months. They're giving you free therapy lessons too." I looked at Elliot. He cleared his throat and looked at Ashley.
"So, what do you think of that?" He asked her.
"Well, I don't think I can have a say in anything, so it doesn't matter what I think."
"Ashley-" Elliot cut me off.
"No Liv, she's right. This is ridiculous."
"I know, but we can't to anything about it. We all have to move on," Ashley jumped up and ran to her room. "I guess that wasn't the right thing to say..." I rubbed my temple and looked at Elliot.
"Do you want to talk to her, or me?"
"I need a break," I sighed. Elliot got up and went in her room. I waited a few minutes and walked in her room.
"She's sleeping," Elliot whispered. I kissed her cheek and walked out.

I tossed and turned all night.
"Olivia, it's 2 in the morning, what's wrong?
"I don't think I want her to go back to school."
"Why?" He asked
"She needs us. I think it would be better if she stayed at home. If she gets homeschooled-"
"She's going to be alone. We're going back to work soon."
"We can get her a dog, she can come to work with us after she's done with her schoolwork. It'll be easier for all of us." I said.
"We'll ask Ashley about it in the morning, I love you," he rolled over and went back to sleep. I turned the lights off and tried to sleep, again.