Chapter two

"Russia has launched a full-scale military attack on Ukraine that opened with air and missile attacks on Ukrainian military facilities before troops and tanks rolled across the borders from the north, east and south.

The Ukrainian military has fought back on multiple fronts. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a video address early on Friday that 137 people, both servicemen and civilians, have been killed and hundreds more wounded.

A senior United States defence official said Russia may be intent on seizing Kyiv, the capital, and other key cities and ultimately installing a more friendly government."

-aljazeera.com, February 25th 2022.

I get into the car while there is no silence anymore, and my parents are talking to each other about "grown-up stuff". My sister and I are watching by the window and a thought appears in my mind; How does mean people can hurt people without feeling bad? Are mean people actually sad people? And what about the "cure" for stopping being bullied? Do we choose violence or words?  Parents often say violence does not solve anything, and some are saying that it's a lie. I guess that people have to experiment by themself to know the reality.

When I got into the school, I noticed people were avoiding me. I know why, and what is frustrating is that I can't even change that!

"He's one of them", a girl stuttered to her friend. "Let's leave."

Oh no, this can't be real.

The two girls who were sitting on the bench were leaving, throwing glances at me. People who have their feet on the same floor as me all look at me.

"What is wrong with these people? They don't even know you enough to understand that you are not what they think you are."

I shrug my shoulders, sighing.

"I'll report", Émile says, full of will.

"You think the principal has something to do against it?"

"Well, yes. Maybe", he says. "We never know!"

I refuse, with straight directness.

"Okay, but if this goes too far..."

"No, Émile. I don't want you to get in trouble because of me.  All of this is not enough to report anyway", I interrupt him, without planning to.

"Okay..."

"And keep in mind that I'll get the reputation of a snitch if you report anything about this. Don't do anything, please."

"Okay, if it's what you want to..."

I am taking his shoulder with my arm and we are going upstairs to get ready for class. People are staring at my best friend, disgusted.

                                    [...]

It's lunchtime, and I pray before eating eyes closed, like I was taught to do. My best friend is always waiting for me to end my prayer before eating; it's his sign of respect.

Suddenly, I feel a hand go from my nape to my head, crushing it against my lunch for long seconds. My head is rising against his, full of food. I didn't have time to react before my face gets in my plate.

"Sorry, what is your name again?" Félix smirks.

People are laughing and I think about my thoughts of this morning in the car, and I am strongly thinking about the violence option. I wish I could take another option, but it's impossible for me. My best friend stands up at the same time as me and we both are taking his head, to smash it twice harder on the table. He yells and I am leaving, with Émile while his friends are running to him.