Chapter four

We get in the car and I have to move on with the fact that I'll have to go to school anyway, even though I tried not to. My sister and I arrived late because of this traumatizing morning and wondered if we'd get to focus after the big fight our parents had because of my wise- that ended up stupid plan.

"Hi!" I enthusiastically told my best friend who was waiting for me, pretending nothing happened much that morning.

"How come did you arrive late like this? Come on, we only have five minutes left to go to class!"

Not going to lie, without my best friend I couldn't make it to school. What would I even be without him? As I walk next to Émile, a little bit faster though, my classmates' senses are waking up and I make them the same effect as caffeine. One classmate, followed by two, three, four, five... They start to throw paper at me, water bottles, in fact, everything they have in their hands. I continue to walk as if it were nothing, trying to avoid all the objects they throw. My best friend has enough energy stocked in him to yell at them to stop, even trying to stop them, but I do not. Even if he tries, it doesn't change anything.

I kind of knew that people would do these types of things to me after the video went viral. It's inevitable. "Alexei I'm sorry but I can't let things like this. I have to report!"
I beg him not to. Reporting would just be worse. I have a feeling about this, and, rarely, my feelings aren't right. Of course, he doesn't let it go.

"Things will get worse if you do that! Just let them be stupid", I say.

"Alexei, there's a difference between being stupid and violent."

His words piss me off, so I raise my voice at him. It doesn't take a lot to annoy me, even if he thinks he does this for the best. Maybe he's right, but he doesn't need to do anything.

"Woah okay, okay! I'm just trying to help you!"

"Well, this help will turn into a disaster."

I won, and he remains silent. He accepts my reasoning. I thank him, with relief and a satisfied smile, and pat his shoulder."You are welcome..." he sighs.

I am not saying I like to be picked at. I am not saying I want to be kept on being picked at. I just think that with time, it'll stop. I remind him that if he'll report, I'll be upset, and he replies he understands, his eyes rolling. I am hoping this will end soon. People won't be like this forever.

I am laying my arm on his shoulder and we are heading to class.

[...]

My day is going pretty normal, even tho half of my friends are looking at me with hate and to be honest, it makes me sad. I am now going to history class, knowing perfectly the teacher will talk about the war. What kind of history teacher isn't talking about the actuality?

"Alright class, I hope you are all doing well and before the class starts, I think this is important to talk a little bit about what is going on around the world today..."

War. I am mentally getting prepared for his announcement trying to not meet someone's gaze. "... question of general culture", the teacher continues.

He opens his computer, diffusing the news about Ukraine and explains the situation most concretely. A way that makes me feel bad for who I am, and even more for those poor innocent people. At some point, I can feel my throat tightening, and becoming embarrassed as the words of my teacher accumulate.

I was right. Everyone is looking at me, subtly giggling and gasping. I focus on my desk, but my desk isn't alive. It can't expect anyone to do anything or prevent it. So it's useless to leave all my trust in it.