Chapter five

One whole week has passed and I have noticed a lack of appetite and sleep. Last week was horrible and I don't know what next week will be like. Will it be worse? Better? I don't know. I have to figure it out by myself.

I am feeling extremely sleepy this morning.  When I looked at the mirror, its reflection showed me huge eyebags under my eyes.  I wish the reflection would be different, but it's the reality. Émile is not at school today. The first class today is French and I try to pay attention, but I feel like I can't. My eyes are extremely heavy and...

"Wake up, Alexei. And come with me", the teacher snaps at me. She has red eyes, which is abnormal. They are normally brown behind her big glasses.

"Why?"

"Just come with me."

She is taking my arm, hurting it with her giant nails, so long and sharp that I could call them claws. The teacher is getting me somewhere, in a very tight place. "You know that you deserve a consequence for that behaviour of yours, right?" She doesn't take the time to be precise about what have I done wrong.

"I am so sorry miss, I haven't slept much tonight and-"

"Shut up. I don't want to hear any excuses."

She lights a match. What is she going to do? She isn't saying anything and throws it on the floor, right in front of me.

"That'll make you understand how Ukrainians are suffering because of your people."

I don't have time to react and she closes the door and locks it. I am screaming, smashing the door excessively hard and trying everything to get out. I am burning, my skin is burning so much I can't feel anything anymore. She laughs, and her laugh becomes more intense and intense, louder, even louder. I am slowly unhearing her laugh now becoming distorted.

"Alexei!"

A loud noise echoes from my desk. She takes my arm, and I jump in surprise.

"Can you resume everything that I explained to the class? Why don't you come in front of the class, just to explain it to us?" The teacher waits for me to answer. This was just a dream, I'm not dead burned alive. Still, the killer in my current nightmare is in front of me.

People are giggling and I look around me, not completely awake and really confused.  I am stroking my face with my hands to wake up better."What?"

"We are all waiting, Alexei. Go ahead!"

Everyone looks at me. Some people are waiting to see me getting roasted, and some seem scared. Different types of people in the same class. My mouth now only can make confused responses.

"Miss..."

She waits and yells at me to answer.

"I don't know."

"Why? Because you were sleeping? It explains better now."

I have a straight face and I try to go back to my seat.

"Nuh-uh, you know what?"

She is violently giving me a blue board pen and keeps on yapping at me, with her largely furious face.

"You'll write in front of everyone I am not allowed to sleep in class until the bell rings. This or the principal's office. It's up to you."

Gaspings are coming from everywhere. She can't be serious. And in front of everyone. How embarrassing. "In front of everyone?" I ask.

"Yes. Yes, Alexei! Exactly!"

I am sighing and I write fast. She is pointing out my verb mistakes and makes me start over and over again. It's very not pleasing. People keep on staring at me. I pretend no one is behind me and focus on the board sound. It feels like an eternity.