【19】

"So, Hwang Yeji, you're the daughter of Hwang Haewen and Hwang Lim?" Munyeong started as they all had tea on the patio. It was clear as day that her intention wasn't to get to know Yeji, but to get her to reveal things that would make Lia not like her.

Not gonna happen.

"Yes, do you know of my mother?"

"I do, I'm a big, big, fan as well. I have many of her skincare products, I understand that her products are purely the best thanks to her husband being in the medical field. And do they know of your... condition?"

"My condition?"

"Your homosexuality, dear."

Lia's jaw dropped when her mom called Yeji's homosexuality a "condition."

"Ahh, yes, they do know. They've already met Lia as well."

"And they accept you?"

"Of course, I'm their child. They love me unconditionally."

"Perhaps we all should have dinner sometime, I'd love to meet them, they've raised you to be a polite young woman, Yeji." John said to shed some light into the conversation.

"Surely, they won't last long enough for it to get that far." Munyeong snickered, "More sugar!"

"Munyeong." John said to make her stop. "So, how did you two meet?"

"At a party, we had a different start apart from others, but in the end, we decided we knew what we wanted." Lia answered, holding Yeji's arm for comfort. Munyeong noticed and nearly scoffed to herself.

"And how long have you two been together?" John seemed genuinely interested, and talking to him was a relief for the couple.

"Almost a month." they both answered.

Admitting it out loud, they realized that they hadn't been together for that long, but they felt like an old married couple already. They knew each other so well, had been through so much already, and have already confessed the L word.

"I understand in the past month, there's been some violence surrounding you, Yeji. You were beaten up by a gang and some poor girl got raped at one of your parties to celebrate a victory on your first boxing match of the season."

'Oh god.' Lia thought to herself, wondering why Munyeong had to do her stupid background checks. She sipped her tea nervously, wondering how Yeji would respond to that.

"...yes, I've been into sports. In high school I did many and now I want to make a career for myself. In the rookie league, not all losers take it well. There were many ways that night could have went, but of all the ways it could have went... I tried to take the path that involved protecting someone I care about very much. And I did-"

"I don't want my daughter around thugs, Yeji. Surely you understand, coming from a high background. And if you're in these gang situations... who's to say my daughter won't get dragged into it. John, don't you agree with me?"

"I mean, I want our daughter to be safe, but I think Yeji's history is impressive. She's fit and broad, she could protect Lia well."

"Why should she have to protect her in the first place. If violence follows this woman around, Lia shouldn't be around her. She should be focusing on her studies and the sorority."

"I am, mom. God, why are you like this? Yeji has done nothing to you. And you're acting like she knows about everything going on at her parties. She was busy talking to the loads of people there to meet her-" Lia spoke up, unable to be like Yeji and John, who were trying to keep calm and kill Munyeong's negativity with logic and kindness.