51 - Mine

. . .

Dahlia

I love you.

It exploded in my mind, days later as I sat in my apartment. They, except Andros, pretty much lived with me in my apartment. It was like a sleepover.

I love you.

Andros said it every night as he kissed my forehead and went back to the ship to sleep in his cell. He refused to let me accompany him, telling me I needed proper rest in a proper bed. One of these days I was going to find my way into that cell.

Then, it was the day of their mother's birthday. And I was excited to meet Minnie. I hoped they were taking good care of her. They would have some problems if they weren't.

I set a dress on my bed, beside the five I already had spread on it.

I picked up Vaness. "Which one, baby?"

"Red."

I looked over my shoulder at Alexandre. Alexandre, thankfully, had started talking alamot as much as usual. But he was quieter than he used to be. He'd say essential words and then go quiet.

"Red?"

Red was beautiful. Its lower part was long and had layers that made it a bit puffy. The upper part was skin-tight with delicate spaghetti straps.

Dad had bought it for me ages ago when I graduated high school. It was too fancy for graduation. I always saved it for a special occasion.

Alexandre nodded, walking deeper into my room.

He paused behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. He set his chin on my head, rubbing my waist. "Get dressed," he muttered. "Andros and Lucian will go with you."

. . .

I got dressed and sat anxiously in my room. The weight of going to a new place was crushing on my shoulders, and I hated how I couldn't breathe anymore. This was just normal anxiety. But you never really get used to anxiety.

I was anxious about meeting Monets' parents again. I had met their dad, but not really. I had been there with Marie for the home visit, nothing else. I had seen their mother in the pictures, but that was it.

What if she didn't like me? What would happen then?

And then there was their sister. She seemed nice enough at the shelter.

I picked up my phone. My thumb lingered on my Uncle's number.

I tried to think of what he would have signed. It's okay, Dahlia. If you want to go, go. If you don't want to go, don't know. Make sure it's you who's making the decision, not your anxiety. There are times when you push yourself and there are times when you don't.

Would I regret it if I didn't go?

I frowned. I probably would. I would regret not taking the chance to meet Minnie again.

Decision made, I walked out of my room.

. . .

Andros rubbed my knee. I met his eyes. He smiled. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," I said. "You look amazing."

He did. His big, muscled body was covered in a tux. His tie was already loosened. His hair was slicked back, but some stands had already escape. He looked too good.

Lucian was sitting across us in the limousine. His tux was perfectly in place, unlike Andros. He looked delicious, too.

"Thank you, baby."