6 - Jasmine and Lavender

. . .

Dahlia.

Marie said I could explain why I didn't reply during the dinner. I thought that made sense.

And then the trouble of selecting an outfit started. Where was he taking me? Could I ask him? Should I ask him? Would he even tell me? Well, he should. But did I want to know? Would I rather have it as a surprise?

And yes, this was my first date in about three years. I hadn't really dated anyone after Evan, and we had crashed and burnt just a month ago.

Evan.

I sighed as a bit of excitement (or anxiety, as I could truly no longer tell the difference), left me. I sat down on the bed and picked my phone up.

I went to his social media before I could stop my fingers.

Best wife. Best life. Followed by an emoji of a red heart.

Ew.

It was a picture of him sitting with his wife. They seem to be on a yacht, drinking champagne. The sun was setting in it, and everything looked so beautiful.

I wanted it to be you, Evan had once said. But it's business, Dahlia. We can still be... something. She doesn't have to know.

That told me just how highly he thought of me, and how much of a scumbag he was. I didn't know why I liked the guys who always thought they were better than me - in everything. That they knew better. I guess I just liked being treated badly, just because when they'd treat me well, even for a moment, it'd feel like heaven.

The cycle ends with him, I had promised myself.

What if Elliot was just like this?

He could be. He appeared to be rich. He was handsome. So there was nothing that was keeping him from being an asshole, or not having a personality.

But...

He just seemed right. Dangerous? Yes. But right too, somehow.

I was aware I was a bit stupid.

. . .

He appeared in front of the apartment building (not that I had been looking out of the window after every minute like a manic) two minutes before the time.

He got out of the car, and he was dressed in a dark suit. Nothing extra. He looked perfect. He walked into the apartment building.

I looked at myself in the mirror while Bobby and Vaness watched the television - probably another video of butterflies.

There was a heavy knock in just a few moments.

I looked at the cats. They looked at me.

I took in a deep breath. It's just a fucking date, Dahlia. Calm the fuck down.

I tried.

And failed.

I sat down on the chair for a moment, took two deep breaths, and then opened the door.

"I'm sorry," I said instantly. "I was in my room and couldn't open the door sooner."

He just nodded and extended his hand toward me. "Shall we?"

"Oh - yes. Just a minute. I need to grab some things. You can come inside."

I was talking too much.

He stepped inside, dwarfling the tiny apartment instantly. He looked at the cats. They looked back.