40 - Pink Sweater

. . .

Hedeon Kozlov

Dahlia drew a star on my hand. "Wash it off when you go out. I cannot deal with this 'Which one are you?' Shit anymore. Lucian, give me your hand, please."

Lucian, who was sitting beside me on the couch in the living room, gladly gave her his hand. She drew a star on his hard, too.

"Why do they get stars?" Andros complained as he carried two giant bows of popcorn into the living room. "Maybe, I wanted a star."

"I'm not giving you a star, that will defeat the whole purpose of this," she said dryly.

Andros took her hand and set his on it. "Draw anything then."

"Me, too." Alexandre walked into the living room, carrying more bowls. I was surprised at what he said.

Dahlia pretended to be annoyed, but her pretty eyes were sparkling. She drew a heart on Andros' and Alexandre's hands. "Happy now?"

"Very." Alexandre kisses her cheek.

"There has to be a noticeable difference," Dahlia said. "Will you sit next to Hedeon, Andros?"

Andros sat beside me. Dahlia stood in front of us, looking closely at our faces.

"It's uncanny," she muttered under her breath. I pulled her on my lap.

"Now you can look closely."

She smiled.

She looked all over us, and then the Monets'. If she spotted any difference, she didn't tell us.

. . .

I picked up Vaness, set her on my arm, and walked out of my bathroom. She always sneaked in while I showered. She meowed a complaint.

I rubbed a towel on my head and then stopped remembering Dahlia's eyes widening when I once did it in front of her. It's bad for your hair! She gasped and then gave me a towel she said was good for hair.

I set Vaness on my bed, giving her a look that made her stay where I put her and walked into my closet.

It had been a few days since we came here. We went out a little, but that was it.

We met up with Damien yesterday, just Alexandre and I. We did intend to kill Damien, too. But he proved to be useful. We didn't know what he was playing at, but it can't be anything good. If anyone at the organization found out that he was trying to keep Dahlia safe, or at least pretending to, he would immediately make too many enemies.

He told us Lorenzo was in New York, trying to find Emilia. He didn't know Emilia was here. He wanted to use her to draw Dahlia out.

We had sent a few men to New York already, but I knew they wouldn't be able to do much. Lorenzo was too skilled to get hunted. We'd have to do it ourselves.

We worked best where there were four of us, but all of us couldn't go to New York and leave Dahlia.

So, we could only wait.

I put on my clothes and walked out, extending my arm towards Vaness so that she could hop onto it.

I walked out of my room.

Pets had become a part of our lives now. I was getting too used to both, Bobby and Vaness.

I was already used to Dahlia.

Dahlia was sitting in the living room, staring at a wall. She had started doing that a lot - dissociation. We always gently snapped her back to reality, but it still worried the hell out of me.