34 - Tire

"Suffering is a terrible fire; it either purifies or destroys."

- Oscar Wilde
. . .

Dahlia

Days became a week easily on the ship. I spent most of my time alone in my room, crying over my store. I had lost every bit of my uncle's legacy. I had lost everything he trusted me with.

I was sitting in Alexandre's office. I had made sure he was busy elsewhere before I came here. The constant ticking of the clocks was comforting.

I was sitting on his chair, spinning around with Bobby and Vaness on my lap. "You like that?"

They really liked spinning chairs. I did too. It reminded me of when Dad and Mom would be away when I was younger and I'd sneak into Dad's office and pretend I was him. I'd even wear his suits. One time he caught me and laughed so hard.

"Baby."

I froze and spun the chair till I was looking at Hedeon or Andros. He was leaning against the door frame.

"Hey," I said. I had, obviously, not been able to ignore the Monets and the Kozlovs. We still kissed, and they had made me cum a few times by using their fingers and mouths. We hadn't done more.

Vaness hopped down and then ran towards him. He looked down at her, lips twitching.

"Which one are you?" I asked.

"Hedeon."

He picked Vaness up and let her sit on his one hand as he stroked her back with the other.

"Will you tell me more?" I asked him. "About everything."

He shrugged. "Depends. Will you ignore us from now?"

"I'm just sad, Hedeon."

"Then talk to us."

"It's not easy to talk," I said, stroking Bobby's head. "The store is gone. There is nothing left of Uncle now. He used to love that store and now it's ashes because someone is after me." I paused. "Only after me. Only my name was in the will, wasn't it?" I asked. "Why? You said my whole family was their target."

"We didn't know that they weren't. I guess she knew that you're the only one who meant something to Noah."

"That is not true. He cared about Dad, Mom, and Emilia too. He just didn't show it."

"Whatever it was." He walked deeper into the office and sat on the chair across the desk. "She believed only you mattered."

"So my family is safe?"

"They should be. They still have security they aren't aware of. They will have it till everything blows over."

"What was her name?" I asked.

"Whose?"

"The head who was after Uncle. What was her name?"

"Cynthia."

"What's her son's name?"

"Damien."

"What's the axe guy's name?"

He tilted his head. "Lorenzo."

I leaned forward. "And who is Lorenzo exactly, Hedeon?"

He watched me. "How do you know?"

"Uncle's journals have a lot of details," I said. "Lorenzo and Damien are siblings, and his sons, aren't they?" I asked. "One is trying to keep me safe, and the other wants my head. Can you explain why?"