Chapter 15

Natalie

Why is it that the depraved always have a small army at their disposal? It makes no sense to me since we aren't an army, but a family. We are assassins, yet we have a higher set of morals than those who aim to ruin or annihilate us. We might murder people, but we draw the line at any form of abuse and sexual assault. Perhaps this makes us chaotic characters because we aren't heroes. We are a little too wicked to be the heroes of a story.

"Well, aren't you a pretty..." BAM! A bullet goes between the eyes of the man before he can even finish his sentence. I'm not in the mood to mess around. It's already taking me far too long to get through this house to my husbands upstairs.

BAM! BAM! Two more rounds are fired off from the guns of my two husbands sweeping the house alongside me. We are checking every room and closet, not willing to risk the life of anyone in our family.

POP! POP! POP! POP! Multiple shots are fired to my left. I race forward into the kitchen to find four men going toward the pantry. Callum went right, so these men must be aiming at Jaxson.

Damn it, Jaxi! It's no wonder Ryder accompanied him on most jobs he was hired to do. Jaxson lives for pandemonium. The more he can generate, the more ebullient he is. We don't have time for this! Four shots, one to the back of each man's head, are all it takes. Down they fall in front of me. I make no sound entering the room by walking on the balls of my feet.

"Feckin' hell, Angel! Why can't I play a little game of Fairy Hunter!?" Jaxson whinges in disappointment at me taking his playthings away from him.

"You can play with whoever is in the room with our animals. Or, do you want to allow those people more time to assault them?!" I whisper yell, peeved at my Fairy King who is sauntering out of the pantry.

Callum comes sliding to a stop on the hardwood floor. "What happened?!" He whispers apprehensively.

"Our insane Sidhe decides he could play Fairy Hunter during our rescue instead of just killing them summarily!" I whisper-shout my reply to Callum.

In French, Callum angrily rebukes Jaxson for adding to the suffering of Ryder and Etienne. When he is finished, Callum addresses me. "All the rooms are now clear. This was the last room left."

"Okay. Let's move upstairs. We will check all the rooms minus the one our animals are in, just to be safe." We are talking in code in case we are overheard.

I turn my head back to Jaxson. "Move," I command succinctly.

"Ten-four, Blood Queen." He salutes me sardonically before striding past. I'm too irrational at this stage, so I throw the nearest cast-iron skillet at his head. Much to my dismay, he dodges it. The skillet ends up putting a hole in the wall behind him.

"You keep taunting Ange and the next item she throws will be a knife at your ass, frère," Callum forewarns Jaxson. Callum is not mistaken. I'm palming a throwing knife at the present.

"Yeah. Yeah. She doesn't wasn't to hear Foxy bitch about stitching my ass-cheek up if she does," Jaxson replies blasé. I beg to differ on that Jaxson Aiden. Just to prove how wrong he is, when he reaches the top of the stairs, I launch a throwing knife at his ass, stabbing him in his right glute. I'm impressed Jaxson didn't make a sound.

It's all Callum can do to suppress his snigger behind me. I glance over my shoulder at him with a self-gratified grin. Serves the asshole right. He knows better than to exacerbate me. Jaxson turns with an indignant glare in my direction. Sorry-Not-Sorry. In return, he receives an indolent wink from me. Callum continues to conceal his snickering.

"I'm telling Daddy," Jaxson mouths to me. I shrug my shoulders haphazardly, gesturing for him to shoo forward so he can pick a room to start in.

Callum goes to the next room, and I go into one down from him. There are ten rooms overall. The one Ryder and Etienne are in is at the very end, opposite the stairway entrance. My room was empty. No gunshots are fired. Two more rooms later, still nothing.

Callum and Jaxson had good fortune, because their knives are oozing blood, and their eyes are savage when we reach the door holding our two missing husbands. I kiss these two fully before we slip in to liberate Ryder and Etienne from their latest captors.