Chapter 17

Natalie

"We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of Ryder Gerhardt Fuchs," the officiant drones on while I'm stuck pretending to be a weak, sniveling widow. I'm crying just at the hypocrisy of it all. "He lost his young life on a fire at his family's cabin on Lake Possum. He was only nineteen years old, with a promising life ahead of him as the future CEO of his family's corporation." Ryder would not become just the CEO of Eiskonig Enterprises alone. No, he is going to become a doctor too.

The police presence here at a funeral is ridiculous. I'm certain that Gerhardt Fuchs is planning on me going to the local jail after the funeral. Little does he understand my brother has a deal with the police here in Palomino Bay, Texas.

"He leaves a grieving father, doting grandmother, and fiancé," the officiant continues. Of course, no mention of Callum, Jaxson, Dominic, or Etienne, who were his brothers. It's all I can do not to eye-roll instead of fake weeping. This man who wants to play a grieving father does not know who his son is. "The deceased was an accomplished quarterback and baseball player at Raider Preparatory High School. He had just graduated as valedictorian four days before his sudden death." No mention of him being the lead singer for the rock band known as Kings of Death. Why would there be? He was only a Rockstar for four-freaking years. Though the Kings hide their identities from the public.

I hope I never have to attend a mock funeral again. At least my Ice King is having a blast attending his funeral.

I glance up from under my RGF monogrammed handkerchief to spot Ryder snickering in the back. Asshole. He did old-age makeup on himself, complete with a prosthetic nose and chin. It's a phenomenal makeup that appears authentic. No one but us will recognize him. It's unfair that he gets to enjoy the spectacle while I'm forced to play the victim with his family, who are pretending to be devastated. Callum can hide his laughter with a hood, but I recognize my Shadow King's chuckle.

The preacher prays, along with those around us. I glance at his father, who has a very satisfied smirk across his handsome features. Ryder doesn't look or act thing like this man. He is hungry for the power my husband possesses. Power, he will not gain. I glance at my husbands, who all have scowls, noticing Gerhardt just as I have.

I whisper in the man's ear, "You did not comprehend your son properly. You are about to regret underestimating him and the Cards." Gerhardt's smirk does not falter. He believes he has truly triumphed. Daft gluttonous wolf, the fox found a clever escape.

"You are going to prison for the murder of my son, dear. You went into a jealous rage when you caught my son with his other fiancé. You burned my lake house with the wealthy lovers inside." I feign being appalled at snide words. I was speculating about what story he was going to weave to pin the murder on me.

"Now you're miscalculating the Cards and our reach. We might be youthful, however, that does not signify that we are not well connected by now." With that, the prayers are over. I stand placing a yellow rose along with my husbands, who escort me to stand while people I've never met offer their condolences.

I thank them, but really, I'm thinking about my next torture session with Ryder's other fiancé, according to Gerhardt. If anyone was his other fiancé, it was Jaxson or Etienne. I cannot wait to take my frustrations over this day out on our two toys in our playground at the ranch.

The Aftermath Crew are here with their families, so they must function as if they know zilch. My family didn't attend because Ryder had me spin some fabrication about my family, not approving of me marrying him. Which is a lie. My brothers love their Frosty. There are some days lately I feel as if my brothers might love Ryder and Jaxson more than me. Ridiculous, I get it, but that doesn't imply that the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Colt is the last of the Crew to kiss my cheek and hug me, struggling to suppress their grins. That's does it! All the men are getting stabbed in a fleshy part for forcing me to endure this farce!

"We will meet you at home," Colton says. His features are haggard, and he has a scruffy blonde beard currently. I'm just thankful he bathed, even though it took Jaxson throwing him in the stock tank and Ryder making sure he bathed properly in the shower afterward. My husband watched the man bathe, not departing until Ryder witnessed Colton pouring soap and scouring his body with a loofah. My Ice King can be relentless.

The last of the guests to approach us is our clever Fox in his brilliant disguise, kissing my cheek and shaking Gerhardt's hand. "I'm sorry about the loss of your son and your fiancé, my dear," he tells us in a false, croaky, wobbly voice.

He then hugs his grandmother to the side of me. She held my hand the entire time. He gives her a kiss on the cheek the whispers in her ear. "Love you, Memaw. Jaxson will explain."

Ryder then loudly says in his phony voice once again, "No one should have to outlive both their daughters and grandson. Just as a father shouldn't bury his son." Ouch! My foxy is frosty with the underhanded comment.

After everyone left the burial site, I was arrested by the police for killing my fiancé, his lover, her brother, and 20 other people at the lake house party. It wasn't a party; they were guards. My husbands, brother-in-love and I did indeed kill them. My husband is alive. Maleigha was not his lover. She and Raleigh are currently still alive as well, for now.