Chapter 33

Natalie

The look on Gerhardt Fuchs's face was worth the hours of primping I let Ryder and Callum force me into enduring. They promised to rip this ridiculously expensive skin-tight glittering black dress from my body the moment Dominic and I got home. I'm on Dominic's arm as his fiancé at an art gala. 

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at artwork. It's these rich people I cannot tolerate being surrounded by. Of course, the whole point of showing up tonight is for Dominic to parade me around. This serves three purposes. One is a public announcement that one of the world's richest and most eligible bachelors is taken. Two is rankling Gerhardt Fuchs since I'm not in prison where he put me, nor has he intimidated the Zanetti Mafia. One leader is on my arm and the other is standing on Dominic's other side. Three is that we will take the support and any financial backing out from underneath Gerhardt.

"You see how mad the ol' wolf is, gra? Tonight is going to be so much fun," Jaxson purrs in my ear before turning my head to greet him with a kiss on his lips.

Both he and Etienne are here, so Jaxson can rub his sexuality in these elitist faces. Apparently, in their society, only a man and a woman may marry. But after that, what goes on behind closed doors gets a blind eye. Public image is everything. My husbands, however, could not care less about their public images as punctuated by Jaxson kissing me. He releases me to pull his husband into his arms for a brief make-out session in front of all these people. I even spot some kids from Raider Prep who ignore us instead of staring.

Gerhardt is making a statement of his own by having Ransom in a suit all polished up. We warned him ahead of time not to acknowledge us. To just go along with Gerhardt, who is announcing that he is his son. A son whose stepbrother already has a bank account set up and has already started putting money into it for him. He and Dominic did that for all the boys. My Kings are so sweet... for bloodthirsty killers.

Dominic is sauntering around the room talking to people while I just introduce myself and smile. Finally, Dominic's uncle, Alonzo, saves me. "Scusami, nipote. I'm going to barrow your future bride for a moment," he informs Dom.

Alonzo offers me his hands, which I take for him to place in the crook of his elbow. The rings on my ring finger glitter brightly. We walk upstairs, away from the throng of people.

"I could tell you needed a moment away, nipotina," he says, releasing me so that we can lean against the balcony railing to watch the people.

"I thank you. What does nipotina and nipote mean?" I ask him curiously. I could just ask Dominic later, but I want to get to know his uncle.

"Nipote is nephew and nipotina is niece. You are my niece now. Dominic told me of the wedding ceremony that took place. You are handfasted now, correct?" I didn't think of it as handfasting and the time, but he is correct since I could only legally marry Ryder.

"How much has Domi told you?" I ask him, unsure of whether it would be okay to tell this man anything.

"I know it all. I know about the living dead. I know about the Cards Royalty. I know about the double crossing of a man who has tried to have me killed. I know who you are. He leans over to whisper in my ear, "Blood Angel, there is nothing in my city that I do not know about. Regina del sangue, I am close to my nephew. I'm also the head of the Zanetti Famiglia."

I smile at him. "I knew my demon was connected to the Italian Mafia in the area. I just wasn't certain how. Thank you for informing me, Zio Alonzo," I whisper back, not wanting what few were here to overhear our conversation.

"Nipote informed me about the other business venture. I think it's a good idea. Perhaps someone such as Hellfire might take over the O'Dwyer legacy in Sidhe's stead?" Alonzo and I continue in hushed tones, suspicious of wandering ears even though we are talking in code.

"Fox, Sidhe, and I have talked about that a lot lately. We are uncertain the clan will go for an outsider being the head, even with Sidhe's endorsement. However, it will only be for a few years until Sidhe's younger brother Fae graduates," I reply.

"I would like to continue to have a peaceful relationship with the Irish. Please inform them of that and consider our peace treaty. I'd rather that future not be left to chance," Alonzo replies warily.

"I agree. Perhaps applying a little pressure on who you endorse might be beneficial?" I suggest.

"So you think Fae will be a good leader?" Alonzo asks curiously.

"With Hellfire by his side... Absolutely," I say with complete confidence in my family.

"Bravissima, cara regina, we shall see it so."

I relax, grateful to have an ally as influential as Alonzo Zanetti aka Capo della Muerte. I glance out over the balcony in my thoughts to notice Dominic, Jaxson, and Etienne all looking around for me. It isn't long before all three of my Kings with me tonight locate me.

Alonzo chuckles. "It seems I should be returning you to your men, cara regina. They are obsessed, aren't they?"

I laugh softly, speaking at a normal volume. "Domi and I have been obsessed with each other since we were kids. The others are a bonus. I love all my Kings equally, Zio Alonzo."

"With the way, you look at my nephew and the other two down there, I can tell nipotina. I think of all of them as my nipotes. I would love to come to dinner, sometime. I miss Dom's cooking," he says.

"I'll tell them." I kiss him on the cheek. "Goodnight."

"Arrivederci e buona note," I hear him say before I walk down the stairs to three of my five Kings. They refuse to let anyone else go up the stairs until I'm surrounded by them.

"The old wolf stormed off with Oscar," Dominic says, using the codename we've given Ransom.

"I better not find more bruises on that kid when he shows up in the morning," Jaxson grumbles under his breath.

"Dere's nothin' we can do right now 'bout dat, Doudou. Chouchou will just hafta bandage him up on da marrow," Etienne tells Jaxson while rubbing his lower back. Tee's correct though, We can't help him tonight, but soon Ransom won't have to worry about any more beatings from that man. We just have to time this perfectly and stick to Ryder's plan.

"Let's go home," Dominic rumbles. We make our way out of the crowd and into Dominic's limousine with his chauffeur, whom he pays handsomely when he calls for him. This is all so strange to me still.

When we arrive back home at the ranch, Ryder and Callum are both waiting for us in the formal living room.