Chapter 24

Natalie

Sitting in the backyard, the boys are barbecuing tonight. I love the smells wafting from the grill. It's Callum who is doing most of the cooking on the large outdoor grill. The area has its little kitchen, in which the boys have wine in the chiller and beer in the mini-fridge beside it. There is plenty of room for Dominic to prepare food while Callum cooks. There is even a sink handy. The outdoor cooking station only comprised of a grill when I was growing up here.

I'm sitting on the patio couch with Jaxson's head in my lap, stroking his red curls back from his handsome face. Ryder and Tee are on the couch across from us, holding hands and talking in hushed tones. They are too adorable together. It's like looking at a yin and yang symbol.

Dominic leaves and when he returns, there are five young junior high boys following him. One boy is blonde with Caribbean blue eyes that dart around suspiciously, avoiding our gazes. Jaxson sits up, his body tense and on high alert. The next kid has forest-green eyes and auburn hair that glows like fire in the sunshine. Another kid has chocolate hair and golden eyes that blaze in anger while scowling. The other kid has medium brown hair and cognac eyes that hold rebelliousness.

But it's the final one that I know is Jaxson's problem. A younger version of Gerhardt Fuchs with golden hair and baby blue eyes that are almost as pale as Ryder's but with more of a blue tint. He must be the kid that the man is trying to groom into the perfect puppet. This kid, though he isn't a puppet, his eyes are too defiant.

We all stand to greet these boys. "You look like the man who raised me," Ryder addressed the kid.

"I know," he says, "but I'm not him. I don't want to be anything like that man," the kids hiss out between clenched teeth. The kid's fists are clenched tight beside him as well.

Ryder smirks at the kid. "Good answer. I'm Ryder Fuchs-Jamison, but my family calls me Rye." He offers a hand to the kid, and he accepts.

"Ransom Oaks." He shakes Ryder's hand. "These are my... I guess... my closest friends." He says that as if he is unsure, but it's obvious to me these boys are close. He points to the blonde. "The blonde is Lachlan Hartley, and the brown-headed one is Carson Channing. The redhead is Jase Alto and the one with the permanent scowl is Arson Skaggs."

"Well, hello, Chaos Boys!" Jaxson shouts, leaning forward with his elbows resting on his legs and his fists holding up his head. There is too much glee in his eyes. He is all Sidhe currently. "I'm Jaxson O'Dwyer, or Jax and the gorgeous woman beside me is Natalie Jamison, aka Ali, our wife. The one cooking is Callum Moreau or Cal. You've met Dom and Rye. The handsome Cajun holding Ryder's hand is my other wife, Etienne O'Dwyer or Tee."

Etienne snorts. "I'm your husband. I didn't take your last name when we got married, you," he admonishes Jaxson. He addresses the boys. "It's St. Juste, not O'Dwyer," he clarifies.

"I'm glad you accepted my proposal," Dominic rumbles, changing the subject before Jaxson can argue again with Tee about changing his name. Ransom nods to him.

"So, how old are you boys?" I ask.

"Twelve," Jase says. "You guys can't be much older than us."

"We are six years older than you boys," I respond.

A thought crosses my head, something Dominic had said when he told us about Ransom. "Who is this girl you told Domi about?" They all tense at my words.

"Carly Channing," Jase says with reverence. He worships this goddess, Carly. He said her name just as my guys say my name. It's a dark passion that says they will make the entire world bleed out for the sake of their loved one.