10| My Gold

12 years old

12 years old.

They are screaming again.

Or most precisely, her.

My mother. I hate her.

Hate and mother isn't supposed to pair together. But for some unlucky kids like me, it does.

I press my hands against my ears as she starts shouting again.

"How could you do this Riza!"

"You of all people do not have any right to say that to me."

"Just to spite me you did that?"

"I did nothing like that! Don't get ahead of yourself."

I push a vase off the table from where I stood at the space near the kitchen.

The shoutings ceased.

"Atleast think of your son, Javidan! You always traumatise him." Baba's footsteps echo near until they stop behind the wall I hid.

"Doruk?"

"Baba?" I whisper from behind the wall.

He rounds the kitchen alcove and looks at me, placing his hand on my head, he gives me a small smile. "Remember what I always say?"

I nod, "Not for long."

He nods. "Indeed. You don't need to fear anyone."

I shake my head. "Anne says I should fear her."

A dangerous look crosses his face and he closes his eyes for a second. "Just remember my words. It will be over soon."

With that he leaves too.

I stare at him as she goes outside the house while my mother still stands near the dining table.

When she sees me standing near the kitchen alcove, her eyes narrows, "Why are you still there? Go to your room. If I come to your room and don't find you, you know what I can do to you!"

I nod frantically and walk towards my bedroom which was on the ground floor only.

I used to have a room upstairs but when I couldn't get any sleep at night because of my parents constant fights, baba shifted my room downstairs.