15| With him

10 years old

10 years old.

"When will you be back, baba?" I ask running behind him.

Baba closes the car door and kneels in front of me, "I will be back soon my daughter. Stay inside and do not open the door for anyone."

I nod and look inside the car where I could see my mother crying with Aziz on her lap.

"What happened to Aziz, baba?" I ask wiping the tears from his face. "He stopped talking from last night, is he okay?"

More tears fall down from his eyes. "He will be. Your brother will be fine and healthy again." He holds my face in his hands, "We will be back, okay?"

I nod as I see him running towards the car which Doruk's father gave him. It was small and looked very old.

After dinner, when Anne went to check on my brother, she noticed Aziz's hands and legs started swelling up very fast. He has been sick for nearly a year now.

Whenever Anne and Baba go to the hospital, the doctors give him some medicines but Aziz never recovers from it.

Some days, after taking the medicines, he goes well for a while then he starts getting sick again and either starts throwing up or develops a yellow fever.

But after tonight's dinner, along with the yellow fever, his hands and feet started swelling up too.

I always pray for my brother to get well again so that we could celebrate our eleventh birthday together.

We didn't celebrated our birthdays from the past two years, Anne says our eleventh birthday would be a happy one, she promised.

I close the door to our house and skip towards the secret pathway which Doruk showed me to reach the main house where he lives without any guards seeing us.

Doruk has his room on the ground level, so it is easy for us to talk during night through his bedroom window.

I duck below the window as I see it's already left ajar. I was about to whisper our code word when I stop short realising there is someone else in his room.

"I told you not to stay up late! Then why don't you listen to me! You are just like your father!"

I slap my hand on my mouth as I hear a painful howl from Doruk.

I peek at the window and bite my finger as I see Doruk sitting on the ground holding his face in his hand. He was crying silently without letting out any noise.