26| Night scare

I lock the door behind me and reach up to the light switch to turn on the lights

I throw my bag on the couch and sit down on the floor, holding my head in my hands.

A headache begins to form at the back of my head. Tears threaten to break free but I refuse to let them out.

I am not weak. I have established that fact years ago.

Crying is a thing I have always associated with fear.

And I haven't cried in fear since fifteen years.

Since I ran back behind his car.

I always had a fear of people leaving me. But in those people, the two most I feared were my brother and my best friend.

Both of them left me the same day.

From that day, I had pledged to myself to never feel those emotions again. To never indulge in those emotions again with everyone.

With Ayesha, Sania, Safa and Juvee, my friendship with them is one sided, I hear all they have and try to be as much I could. But I could never give a part of myself and sit back and fear the worst.

For me, friendship was a strong bond.

When I made friends, I made sure I know what's in my friend's heart and show them mine.

After Doruk, I could only take and never give. Because somewhere in my mind, I still have that fear I am going to be left alone. Again.

They all will be gone and I will be left alone.

Just like I was left alone on that driveway.

A shadow falls over my window curtains and I get up to look out.

Doruk still stood there.

He spots me on my window and raises his hand.

My nose itches and I blink back those tears.

Why is he being nice to me?

I don't deserve that.

Is my rudeness not enough for him to back away?

I snatch the curtain back into it's place.

A heavy weight falls on my chest. I hate myself for doing that to him.

He doesn't deserve me. I remind myself.

He deserves a good friend. A friend like Selvi maybe. Who might look like a pickle but atleast she gives him attention.

I peek from the sliver of the curtain, watching him walk towards his car. He turns back to look at me again, but the gate of my building restricts his view.

For a moment I wished I had taken the first or second floor apartment instead of the ground level.

I place the curtain on it's place and move back.